Chapter Four - Sunshine

~

Reece's POV

~

Tell me how the fúck I have Layla Stevens sitting across from me at my dinner table? How is she here, talking and getting along with my family? How is she laughing with my siblings and complementing my mom's cooking and asking about my dad's shop?

How does this feel so normal in a way? This has never happened before and yet it feels like it could happen a million times again.

And why the hell do I keep calling her Sunshine? That needs to stop real fast because it makes it seem like I'm warming up to her. I don't warm up to people. I keep them at a distance so that I can keep me and my family from getting hurt.

"Thank you so much for dinner, Novah, it was amazing." Layla smiles at my mother once everyone seems to have finished their meals.

Mom smiles, "You're welcome, sweetheart. I'm glad you could join us."

"I've got the dishes." I murmur, starting to pick up everyone's plates.

Mom kisses my cheek as she stands up from her seat beside me, "Thanks, love."

Everyone slowly makes their way into the living room as I start gathering up the empty dishes, but I frown when I notice Layla helping me. I walk towards her and take the stack of dishes from her arms. "Go join the rest of my family. I've got this."

She looks up at me and huffs defiantly, her lips forming a small pout, "I want to help."

I force my eyes not to linger on the adorable pout settled on her lips and head for the kitchen. "You're our guest. Go watch a movie with my siblings."

Walking into the kitchen, I set the dishes down next to the sink. I start rinsing them but stop when Layla comes up beside me, carrying the last of the plates from the table. I sigh, turning to her, "Seriously?"

She smiles up at me as she sets the plates down on the countertop. "Did you really think I was going to let you do the dishes all by yourself?"

"I was hoping so, yes." I reply, shaking my head, "You You're really stubborn, you know that?"

She nods with a grin, "Actually, I have been told that once. It was by some weird, probably insane guy that I saw laying in the middle of the road."

I can't stop the small smile that lifts my lips, "Sounds like an interesting guy." I comment.

"Mmm, he is, actually." She replies, playing along.

I quirk an eyebrow, not turning to face her, "Oh really?"

"Yeah. He acts like this scary, dark bad boy, but I know he's not."

I smirk. "And how do you know that?"

I can almost hear her grinning as she replies, "Because I've seen the way he acts with his siblings. It's cute."

I wince, turning to look at her, "I'm not 'cute'."

That infectious grin is plastered on her face once again. "You kinda are."

I roll my eyes, continuing to wash the dishes as she starts to dry them, "I don't think so, Sunshine."

"See! That right there proves it! How bad can you be if you go around giving people nicknames like that?"

"I don't just go around giving people nicknames."

"Then what about mine?"

I only shrug, "It fits."

Layla shakes her head, smiling to herself, "You are too cute, Reece Carter."