Chapter Forty - A Kiss

~

Layla's POV

~

Reece freezes, clearly not expecting me to kiss him. For a moment I'm worried that he'll push me away. But then he relaxes, quickly recovering from his initial shock and placing his hands on my hips. He pulls my body into his as I slide my hands up into his hair.

Suddenly, it's as though the world is whole. Like up until this moment, I haven't even realised I've been missing something until I finally have it. And now that I do, I'm not about to ever let it go.

As cliché as it sounds, I feel butterflies in my stomach and my skin tingles where he touches me. The kiss doesn't last too long, only a few seconds. It feels like it lasts an eternity but a millisecond at the same time. When we break apart, I let out a small, content sigh, keeping my eyes closed as a smile graces my lips.

Reece clearly isn't so content, worry seeping into his voice as he speaks. "I- I'm sorry, you probably didn't even- shít, don't think you had to do that. I'm sorry I asked, I-"

"Reece," I stop his rambling short with just his name, not moving from my spot even as he tries to push away from me. "Tell me, what part of that kiss made you think I didn't want to kiss you? Because I can confirm that there is absolutely no place I'd rather be right now than here in your arms."

Reece stares down at me with wide eyes for a moment before he lets out a small, "Oh."

I laugh, "Yes, 'oh'," I'm quiet for a moment before I continue in a small voice, "Does this mean it's me you like?"

At that, Reece chuckles, tilting his head back as he squeezes me closer to him. "You really haven't noticed? I thought the tattoo would have been some sort of indication."

I gasp, slapping his chest lightly, "You've liked me since Christmas?"

"Oh, Sunshine," He shakes his head, "I've liked you since long before then."

"Why did you never tell me? This could have happened so much sooner!"

"Well, that was kind of the whole reason I got the tattoo. I was planning to telling you that night when I showed it to you."

"Why didn't you?" I ask, staring up at him with wide eyes.

Reece sighs, "I had it all planned out. I had finally worked up the courage to tell you and I knew exactly what I was going to say. It was going to be perfect. But then... you looked up at me with the most breath-taking smile and your eyes were twinkling and you just looked so beautiful. It was like I had suddenly forgotten every word I've ever known." He chuckles quietly, "Then you went and rested your head on my chest and kissed the tattoo so easily. My heart was practically beating out of my chest and I knew I couldn't say it."

I frown, resting my head on his chest as I had done that day to hide my blush. His heart is beating strong and fast just as he described. "Why?" I whisper.

"Because I didn't want to mess this up. I couldn't. I wouldn't ever forgive myself if I told you and you didn't feel the same. Which I thought was probable. I guess I was wrong," He presses a kiss to the top of my head quickly and I smile. "I was standing there with the most amazing girl and I was just going to go and ruin it all by telling her I had feelings for her."

"You wouldn't have ruined it though."

"If only I had known that at the time," He sighs, "So, instead I just stood there and let you trace my tattoos to your heart's content."