9. Crisis and broken trusts

When Eda arrived at Art Life, she found everybody gathered in the workshop around Serkan and Efe. Guessing what it was most probably about, she quickly put away her faux-fur purple coat at her table and went to stand against the wall between Efe and Serkan. Whether she liked it or not, she was still Efe's employee and had to stand by his side until the matter was settled.

"Guys," Efe started, "I am the one responsible for the Kafescioglu family's roof collapse." Everybody looked at each other in disbelief hearing his words. "I accidentally changed the settings on the printer and that's how it happened. I didn't tell it to you therefore I apologise to all of you."

"Ne?" Engin exclaimed with a frustrated look on his face. "Is that all you have to say about this? Do you realise that Serkan has been bashed ever since the accident? And have you even thought about the reputation of the holding? Is that really all you have to say?"

"Engin..." Serkan tried to calm down his friend. "Let's talk inside."

Engin shook his head in disbelief as he went to the meeting room, stopping by Efe on the way. "I can't believe I defended you."

"Tamam, thank you. You can all go back to your work," Serkan told the other employees and partners before he followed Engin to the room.

"Abi, what was that? What does he think he's doing? What does this mean?" Engin asked angrily once Serkan had joined him. "What does this mean when he said that he changed the settings? I'm sorry but what difference will it make for him to apologize? Do you realise that the whole industry has been bashing you for days? And how can you be so calm about it!"

"Engin, biraz sakin ol." Engin looked at the ceiling and breathed deeply. "The man is going to leave. Merak etme."

Engin narrowed his eyes at Serkan. "I know this look. I know this look Serkan. You have a plan. What is it?"

"He won't get away with this so easily."

"You'll end it."

"We'll end it together."

"How will we do it brother? Tell me. I'm ready."

"It's already started. I'll explain everything to you. Tamam mi?

"I'm with you whatever you want."

"Tamam. But now I have to make sure Eda comes out of this unscathed."

Serkan explained his plan to Engin. He wanted to make sure that Efe would have no other choice but to leave the firm on his own. The only way to do this was to make him release a statement in the press to tell everybody that he was the one who had messed up the project. As he was explaining this to him, they were interrupted by the arrival of Alptekin bey. Engin quickly excused himself out to let both men talk.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to help."

"I don't need your help."

"Listen, I know I made many mistakes in the past but let me get this one right. Lütfen."

Serkan looked at his father with a cold face. He wondered if he could trust him after all that had happened. But Alptekin was right; it was his fault if the Kafescioglu lawyers were currently heading to the office with questions about Eda's parents' accident. They had called Ferit that very morning to inform him that they wanted to discuss about the work with Serkan.

"The Kafescioglu lawyers will be there within an hour or so. If you want you can wait for them here. I have something to do." Serkan told his father who nodded as he sat down at the table.