14. A bet and a surprise

There was no denying that the new PR manager did her job well. She came up with various great ideas to promote the work and was very efficient in stopping tabloids and cunning reporters. Yet, Eda couldn't help but feel that something was off with the curly-haired woman. A few times over the course of one single day, she had caught her looking at Serkan in a rather languishing way that didn't please her at all.

The day after Balca's hiring, Eda decided to go surprise Serkan at his home after her evening classes. She knew he had to work late so he had not been able to come and get her as he usually did. She had had to reassure him three times before he had let her go by herself and even then, he had kept on sending her messages every fifteen minutes asking her if she had reached safely and how she was feeling.

That is how she found herself ringing at his door that night to surprise him. A couple of minutes passed before she heard him yell that the door was open. She found it odd but didn't think much of it as she turned the doorknob and stepped inside. She felt her jaw drop as she was met with the most peculiar scene as Serkan was standing with a hand behind Balca's back.

"Eda!"

"Serkan?" she answered incredulously.

"Selam!"

"What a great surprise!"

"Welcome Eda," the woman said with a satisfied smile and Eda felt her blood rise to her head.

"I think I'm interrupting something. I think I should go. Have a good evening."

"Eda! Wait!" Serkan ran after her and grabbed her elbow before she reached the door. "Where are you going?"

"Home Serkan. I see you're in good company, I won't disturb you."

"Good comp... You can't possibly think..."

"Ne? Think what Serkan?! That I just found you with another woman, alone, in your apartment? Then yes! That's exactly what I'm thinking!" she whispered angrily.

"She wanted to work but I told her that I didn't want to and I was escorting her to the door. That's all."

They both turned to Balca when they heard her cough slightly. "I think I'll leave you two now. I'm going home."

"Yes you do that," Eda answered with annoyance.

"Eda..." Serkan said between his teeth.

Eda threw him a dark look and he sighed. Balca bid them farewell and Eda closed the door behind her with a little too much strength making the glass tremble. Serkan immediately grabbed her and took her away in case it broke. Fortunately it didn't and soon stopped shaking. Once the fright was behind them, Eda pushed him away and walked past him with a huff. She sat on the sofa and crossed her legs and arms.

"Eda... What was that?" Serkan asked as he walked to her and sat next to her on the sofa, but he immediately regretted asking when she threw him daggers with her eyes again.

"What was that? Are you really asking me this Serkan?"

"She only dropped a few files."

"And couldn't you just have taken the files and told her to leave?"

"I did! But then she said that she wanted to talk to me about work and also needed to use the bathroom. Should I have let her pee her pants?"

"Off Serkan! Can't you see through her tactics?"

Serkan frowned. "What tactics?"

"Are you for real?" Eda couldn't believe her ears and her eyes: he really looked clueless. "You are unbelievable!" Eda exclaimed.