Chapter 11- The Sister Visit

Chase's P.O.V.

Elaine took a swig of the coffee. Then, she focused on my latest painting, her sapphire orbs inspecting every inch of it. I simply watched her with a smile, my arms folded. 
Finally, she tied her raven hair into a messy bun then looked at me. 

"Mind if I give a teeny bit of touch to this masterpiece?" My sister asked.

I huffed. "Fine. Go ahead." She smirked, then took a brush, dipped it into a cup of water, then in ones of the vermillion paints on the palate. She worked for a minute or two, then smirked, turning it to me.

"Now, isn't this better this way?" She asked, and I held up my hands in defeat after gaping at how her simple touch had turned my sunset piece into something impeccable.

My sister had recently come back from our hometown during her school vacay. She was giving a last minute visit to me, though she came to me and the very first days of the vacation. Perhaps to say good bye.
My family lived in the mansion in my hometown in NYC, but I had my condo. 
As much as I hate to admit, my younger sister, came two years after me, but was more of an awesome artist then me. There's a reason she's in an art school. I'll obviously be forced to take care of the family business, but that's because I did consent to it. And honestly, I'll admit that I prefer business over art as a career. 

"Thanks." She grinned. "But you've improved!" She said, taking another swig of her coffee. 
I shrugged. "Thanks. I need to create a different style."

"Hmm... correct. And perhaps, make more than nature scenes. You can make me, y'know." She chuckled. 

I groaned. "You have stop repeating that request. Just draw a self portrait." I said.

She rolled her eyes. "Eff you." 

"Okay. Out now." I said, pushing her out of my art studio. She sighed. 

"Fine." Plopping herself on the sofa, she sighed again. Her tired visage and structure were something I'd failed to notice until now. I put my hand to her head. Normal temperature, so what was wrong?"

"You feelin' okay?" I asked, concern in my tone.

"I'm fine." She sighed, placing her head onto my lap as I sat down on the sofa. 

It wasn't. She'd tell me.

I massaged her temple while going through shows to watch. The two of us were huge horror fans, so I settled on The Conjuring to make her feel better.

I heard Elaine start sniffing when Ed Warren was singing on his guitar to the Hodgson kids, and I just soothed her forehead with some more massage techniques, until she burst out crying. I immediately paused the movie, and held her, as she buried her face into my chest, sniffling more and more. "What's up? What happened?" I asked, wanting to murder whoever made her feel like this.

"Leah and I had a fight." She sobbed. I sighed in relief. "The fucking bitch... no she's actually innocent, I'm the bitch."

"Whoa, chill. Not a big deal. You've been friends for a decade, what could you possibly fight over?"

Elaine sighed, furrowing her eyebrows. "You're right. But it was my fault. It was kind of a bet... and she won... and I insulted her.." She muttered, tucking a inky stray strand behind her ears. 

I chuckled. "I think you gotta elaborate."

She let out a low groan, then sniffed.
"We had a bet on who would impress Mr. Jesse with her newest painting assignment better, and I was pretty damn sure I'd win. I mean, those tutoring sessions, and now this art school, aren't for nothing! I mean, I joined two years before her too... So I was so haughty on the matter that I offered a large sum of money for the bet, but she fucking won, and I insulted her along with accusing her and Mr. Jesse of having this weird student-teacher affection, and threw the money in her face. Fuck, I hate myself. But she came up with much better insults, and we haven't talked since then. I'm so emotional, just thinking about it makes me wanna cry." She ended.
I huffed lightly. Elaine was so, well, Elaine.
Dramatic, emotional and cheeky. And quite headstrong.

I let out a huge whoosh of air from my air from my mouth, then chuckled, shaking my head. I ruffled her hair. "Stop with the haughtiness. And congratulate her instead. And apologize to her. You know the fault was sort of, in your hands, so do so. I know you can." I smirked, impressed at myself at my own words.

"You're right. The solutions' so simple, and I gotta get over my pride for once, I guess. It's keeping me from calling her, even though the fight happened, like, just before the vacay." She sighed.

"You're pretty fucking right. That's a mature girl."

She grinned, then sighed. "I know. Thanks. I'm glad I asked you. I'll call her tomorrow. Now on with the movie!" 

I chuckled, then played the movie.

My sister wasn't only one who would be apologizing to someone tomorrow, I decided.
Even if my purpose would be to win over another person.

<><><><><>

The harsh cold of winter made me rub my arms and curse. After the usual talk exchanged with the rest of the gang, the guys and girls separated. I suddenly spotted Cris and her friends walking to the school building, most of them rubbing their arms due to the cold, and Cris usually silent, in her own thoughts, exchanging smiles with the rest of them occasionally. 
God, how she drew me near to her.

I walked over to them, and a smiling and laughing Amber turned to me. Her smile suddenly disappeared, as I stopped in front of them. The rest stopped and looked at me warily, while Cris looked more wary and puzzled at the same time.

"What do you want?" Amber questioned, her tone curt.

I kept my smirk small, then looked down at her. "I wanted to apologize."

Her lips parted in shock, slowly. Small gasps rose from her friends.

 "Amber, the things I said to you that day, can't be justified. I was lying. You're one of the most wonderful girls I've seen, and you're really beautiful. I really acted rudely, and that was fucking unnecessary of me." I ended, a hopefully affable and apologetic look in my eyes and face.

Amber gaped at me, her mouth opening and closing a few times, then she blinked. Her face burst into a cheery grin, and my smirk grew wider as well. I glanced at Cris, who had an amused expression on her face, looking at me with an eyebrow raised. I looked back at Amber with an internal grin. 

"It's... okay, really. Thank you, I guess... it's, it's alright." Amber grinned, biting her lip. 

I grinned. "Welcome. Then is it okay to invite you and the gang to my party tomorrow?"

"Oh, really! Yeah, 'course!" She cheered. I heard 'sure's from the rest of them, I think.

"That's swell. I'll be off then. I'll text the address to you." I said, and walked off.