Chapter 23- The Grand Getaway

Above: The wooden motel. Just visualize the structure with nighttime as the background, please :"D
Image courtesy: Google.

Chase's P.O.V.

After everybody had left the room, and Jennifer and Cassie had dragged Ellis out of the marquee, I heard cop car sirens approaching.

Fuck.

My eyes scanning the room if anybody else was left, except the confused bartender who probably ran out to talk to his manager, my eyes fell on a still Cris.

Her face was devoid of any emotion except for shock, her gaze on the floor. 
I furrowed my brows. What was up with her?

Concern clouded my mind, but I shook it off for now. Getting her out of this place before the cops got to us was the most important concern right now. "Cris, c'mon!" I said frantically.

Her head snapped up, gazing at me with widened eyes. She got up, her height reaching my chin.
"I'm sorry, let's go!"

Her friend Jade stepped out of a loaded car and calling to Cris, threw a huge white overcoat at her, just as we got out. Yelling a quick 'thanks', she smiled at her friend then looked at me.

I grabbed her hand involuntarily, sparks flying up my arm as we ran to my black BMW Convertible. Though I admit it would have been a much cooler situation if I'd had a sports car, my BMW was just too close to my heart.
Then what about joining NatureSoulmates, you ask?
Apparently, I found out Cris goes there. Basically, it was pretext to get more popularity, but doing the activities that NGO did felt almost soul cleansing. I'll admit, I knew Cris was employed there too, before I joined.

We immediately got into the open-hooded car, and I started the vehicle just as a cop car stopped almost right behind us. 
I zoomed into the main road, dodging cars this way and that, until Cris yelled. 
"Chase, highway!" She yelled, donning on her overcoat.

"Wh-what?" I sputtered. 

"Go to the highway!"

"They're gonna be even closer to us that way!"

"Ugh, 'course not!" She retorted, as I did a sharp U-turn. "Trust me, I know you're going to the secluded parts of the city but the cops know that too! I bet your friends are going there too, and half of them are probably already paying their fucking fines! Listen to me and go to the highway! I know it may sound classic and idiotic but this is our best bet! So let's go- now!" She yelled frantically.

"Wh-how-" I sputtered in confusion. How did she know this shit so fucking well?

"There's no time for an argument, Chase!" 

Just then, an announcement came from behind us. "Pull over, now! For the sake of law and order, pull over!" Said a young officer's voice. 

"Chase, just listen to me!" Cris said again.

"Fuck, fine!" I spat. 

A cop car came in behind us, but I changed roads again, then did an illegal U-turn, almost drifting. 

And whirled my car to Interstate 93, in the most confusing way until the cop cars lost us. I stopped the car at a corner of the dark, mostly empty road.

Cris leaned back in her seat, her hand held over her chest. Then her head shot to me. 
"The car plate! Shit! Did you-"

"Chill." I said, smirking now. "I make sure to keep it off or use a fake one whenever I think necessary. It's in the boot of the car."

She exhaled and leaned back into her seat again. "Thank goodness."

After a few more seconds of silence, the two of us simultaneously looked at each other, a smirk on both of our faces, when all of a sudden we burst out laughing. With the adrenaline wearing off, that's we did first. Laugh. 
The sound of her melodious laughter went on, along with mine, for a few minutes.