Chapter 3- The Ghoul Among the Humans

Simone's P.O.V.

I sighed for the millionth time in a minute. "Oohkay, what exactly makes you think Lily and Arden are a good couple? Those matching orange freckles?"

"Well, that's one factor. I'm talking about how they've both stood for each other in any situation. Whether it's Ms. Beverley and her rants on how disturbing Lily is, or when they both go and stand together during the lunch queue."

I perked up an eyebrow. That probably hot expression, yeah. "Don't Ms. Bailey and the cafeteria's janitor stand together while she makes lunch and he cleans, too? They look cute together to you?"

Ash stifled a laugh in his throat, but it came out like a burp through his mouth anyway. I laughed.

"You're weird." He said.

"C'mon," I continued. "Noah and Chuck are the 'prolly the most adorable together in our class and y'know it."

He shook his head. "More like Noah and Decker."

"Noah's gray eyes, black hair, olive tone and Decker's green eyes and hair, and fair tone don't match. If you're talking about the externals."

"I'm mainly talking about their internals, the nice and rebellious attraction. Opposite's attraction. And their features match awesomely, too."

"Ha-ha. Whatever you wish. I'm givin' up."

Ash rolled his eyes. "How are shipping games boring to you? This was getting interesting!"

I held up the book I was reading- The Unposted Letter, by Mahatria Ra. I read out a chapter title from it. "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and Small minds discuss people." I gave him a big sarcastic smile.
"Actually you gossip too much." I laughed.

He rolls his eyes. "True, okay. But you and your self-help book, gosh."

"Hey!" Punch his arm. "Self-help books are lovely. The Buddha had said, "Carpenters bend wood, fletchers bend arrows, and wise people fashion themselves."

"You make me cringe. Stop with all the quoting."

I made a humorous expression. "Seriously, y'know I don't do it all the time. Just rarely."

"And I'm off to the races, cases
Of Bacardi chasers
Chasing me all over town
'Cause he knows I'm wasted-"

That was my phone's ringtone. I loved Lana Del Ray's songs- can't ignore Aurora, Sia and Billie Eilish, of course.

I looked at who was calling. It was Carmen Schwartz, the founder of a new social-service community , 'NatureSoulmates', which I joined. She's a nice college student, along with an environmentalist. I usually volunteer to join a number of these organizations, communities, NGO's. I'm a pretty active social worker, and joining so many of such communities brings within me inner peace.

I wished to open one myself after college with the help of money. Einstein had once said, "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.". Also Aesop had once said "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
Beautiful thoughts, I must say.

"Hey, you comin' next week, Monday? There's a new member, we gotta welcome her."

"Of course, I will, don't you worry."

"That's awesome! Actually NatureSoulmate's Mondays don't remember much volunteers." She laughed sarcastically.

"Oh c'mon, Carmen. You've just started out. And I'm with you. Aaand weekends are when people usually dump their butts on their couches with boxes of oreos and a gallon of Chardonnay. Usually this goes along with myopia-causing long hours of 365 Days and Money Heist, am I right... or am I right? Not too fun too spend their only weekends on sweet charities or NGOs, perhaps."