Chapter 29- You Deserve It

Simone's P.O.V.

I looked up at Chase, my face feeling warm and my chest housing fluttering butterflies at our proximity.

His little speech on why I should spend on my wants once or twice was reasonable. And my heart hammered with an indecipherable, but sweet feeling at his persuasion for me to live life a little.

But I was confused.

"I guess so, but... why do you want me to do this?" I inquired.

Chase smiled a small, genuine smile. "Maybe because you deserve it." He said in a soft, yet firm tone.

I softly inhaled a sharp breath.

Maybe because you deserve it, he had said.

Do I really deserve it? I thought.

A flashback of Ma and I talking in the hospital, during my recovery after my suicide attempt, appeared in my mind...

Ma sighed as I drank a cup of water after my meal, then looked at her. Emery, James and Papa were at Papa's home, having dinner. It was my third and last day in the hospital, and Ma decided to stay here for some more time than needed, considering the fact that our stuff was apparently being moved to Papa's house. Nice.

"You know I'm going to sell our old house, right? We both need to move to your father's duplex. Our stuff has been moved today." Ma said in her usual, grand Indian accent.

I nodded, my eyes now on the novel I was reading, Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

"I know, Ma." I said.

"Listen to me, Cris." She said firmly.

For a moment, I let out a tiny sigh and closed the book. My russet eyes bore into her grey ones. I waited to listen to what she had to say.

"Are you absolutely sure you want to go to Boston?" She asked me.

"Ma, that's what we've been planning since I reached junior high. It's only due to our financial difficulties that you couldn't send me to Boston, and now that we've enough savings to let me go, I don't find any reason for this sudden rowback." I said, furrowing my brows.

My conversations with Ma always had to be smooth, clear and properly-worded- even if simple. I needed good speech for good first impressions at whatever job I was to take up, according to Ma. I'll have to say, I agreed.

"Yes. That was indeed our plan. But... there's been this huge turn of events. Our family is back together, Cris. I don't want to see another member drifting away so suddenly. There are many good high schools in Chicago, I guarantee you. Both, your father and I have discussed this, but I'll leave the decision to you." She replied, tilting her head forward as she spoke.

My heart bubbled for a second at the way she decided to convey her emotions and thoughts to me for once. She'd been doing this, normalizing softer conversations and regulations between us, and I was more than thankful for that.

I let out a small, soft gasp. Ma leaving a major decision to me was something I would have never imagined. But then I remembered.

She had promised to try to let go of  some of her reigns on me.

She had promised to be more understanding.

"I understand your point, but, are you... sure?" I asked, trying to conceal the incredulity in my tone.

She tucked her chestnut hair behind her ear. "Yes." She swallowed.

I knew this was difficult for her, to let go of control of a daughter whom she had perfected for so long. But I appreciated so much, the fact that she was trying to help me.