Chapter 12- A Win-Win Offer?

Above: The school locker room-

Simone's P.O.V.

As soon as I reached my locker after lunch, I sighed. It was good Chase'd finally apologized, but I knew pretty well that the same thing that had occurred on that Halloween party would perhaps occur twice, and Amber would regain her feelings and hopes for him, which he would shatter by a careless act. Again. 
And the scene from Amber bawling her eyes off at that cubicle had left a deep imprint on me. 

No. I wouldn't let him hurt her again. No way.

And that's what I'd been thinking of, since this morning when Chase apologized. I had to give him a warning. Yes. I had to.
As if on cue, I noticed Chase appear out of the blue and open his books into the locker far from me, his face impassive as he stuffed his sweater in and took out some books. 

I took a deep breath, walked over to him. "Chase? You've a minute?" I asked.

There were only a few other students at the locker room at this hour. It was actually kinda late, and I knew I would have to apologize to Cynthia, my lab partner, and Mr. Green. I wouldn't mind, though being late to science with a teacher like Mr. Green has consequences.  

Chase turned to me, eyebrows raised. "Cris? Hey." He said, his familiar smirk slowly etching onto his face. He hardly ever said my name.

I bit my lip. "Look, I appreciate that you apologized to Amber, but-"

"I didn't do it for your appreciation, Beaumont." he said, clearly amused right before I even started a conversation. Damn him.

I raised an eyebrow. Two can play at this game, Walker, but that isn't the point.

"I know." I half-rolled my eyes. "It's good that you did, anyway, but I need you to make sure the same mistake doesn't happen again, 'cause Amber probably will start liking you again." .

He huffed, his smirk disappearing. "Mistake? Which is?"

I sighed. "The process through which you hurt her, Walker. Please, spare me that dumb side of yours."

He stepped closer to me. "Fine. What do you want me to do?"

I blinked once or twice, incredulous he asked me for an opinion. "Y'know, just don't say anything you'll never mean, kay?" I said, tilting my face to look directly at him.

His smirk reappeared. "On one condition."

I stepped back, glaring at him. "It's basic social etiquette! What condition-"

He stepped closer. "Cris. You care about your friends, don't you?"

I raised an eyebrow. "What is it that you're implying at?"

He sighed. "Fine. Maybe that basic human behavior is hard for me to do, or whatever. So I'll do it on a condition." 

"You're unbelievable." I said plainly, burying my hand deep inside my jeans pockets.
"What is this condition?" I asked.

"Go on a date with me." He said, his sapphire orbs directly burning through mine as he studied my expression.

What?
My lips parted slightly as my heart rate increased. I huffed. "No."

He let out a short sigh, as if he knew what my answer would be. "Amber's feelings probably depend on your decision."

I shook my head. "They shouldn't, not at all."

He rolled his eyes. "Yes or no, Beaumont?"

I sighed, my gaze falling to one of the red lockers behind him. I let it stay there for a moment or two, or five, contemplating on the pros and cons of his offer, while he stood there, leaning against his locker and watching me.
I didn't have much of a choice, did I?

I let out a heavy sigh. "Not a date. A... meeting. No date." I said, finally.

A huge victorious smirk took over his face, and I couldn't help but wonder why. "So that's a yes?" He asked.

I nodded, shrugging. "You aren't giving me much of a choice, Walker, so yes."

He huffed, the smirk still on his face. For a moment I let my eyes roam his features with admiration, he was goddamn gorgeous... perhaps it wouldn't be so bad going on a date- excuse me, meeting, with him.

"The staring's done?" He questioned, amusedly.

I blinked once or twice, then rolled my eyes. "When'll it be then?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"Today. I have the NatureSoulmates job for today, so 8 pm."

I raised my eyebrows. "Really? Me too. Anyway, that's fine. You know my insta, so I'll text you the address there." Of course, Instagram was where he'd sent his first three texts.

"Got it. And don't look like a damsel in distress. You go out with me, I shut my mouth to not hurt her. It's a win-win, Beaumont." He jeered, smirking, and bumped my shoulder with his as he walked past. A low, annoyed groan left my lips, and I heard his chuckling as he left the room.

That boy was tiring.

<><><><><>

I unlocked the front door, and me and Asher walked in, a meowing Shady greeting us. Ash dropped down on the sofa after kicking his shoes into the corner. He picked up Shady and seated her on his lap, massaging her furry back. The teen cat purred in response. 

I smiled at the sight, placing my shoes on the shoe shelf and shrugging off my coat. I went over to the kitchen, made a pot of coffee, and took out two white mugs from the shelf, and poured in the drink. I went back to the living room and handed one to Ash, then plopped down next to him.

"Thanks." He said, grinning.

"No problem." I smiled.

"Oh, I gotta tell you something." Ash sighed, putting Shady on the coffee table. But instead she paraded to me and slumped down beside me. Her two humans chuckled, and I stroked Shady's head.

"What's wrong?" I asked, diverting my attention back to Ash.

"Nothing. Actually, something's right, instead of wrong."

I raised an eyebrow. "Is this on the Lucas case?" Ash'd expressed a lot of happy feelings for that date with Lucas, and that had become his subject of talk most of the times ever since.

"Yeah! We're dating!" He cheered, grinning.

I let out a laugh. "That's amazing! Congratulations, man! When'd this happened?"

"Today. I'm so fucking happy, and he's great boyfriend material." He sighed.

My grin grew wider. I held out my arms, also happy about the fact that Asher, unlike Julie, told me first. 
Asher leaned in to hug me, and I patted his back and pulled away.
"This is good news." I smiled.

He shrugged. "Thanks! My other friends have met him, and you're left now."

I tilted my head. "That's sweet of you, but you don't have to-"

"Oh no, I want to." He smiled.

"Alright then!" We both chuckled. "Oh, and Julie and Logan are dating too, y'know? Actually, for a straight week, but I found out yesterday." I said, rolling my eyes in annoyance, but with a smile on my face.

"Woah, that's great! Aren't they each other's firsts?" Asher asked.

"Firsts? As in, in bed?"

Asher rolled his eyes. "Oh, fuck no. Julie's a player, right? And Logan too?"

"Well, Julie is. I'm not sure about Logan, though I do think he is one." I shrugged.

"Right!  So I meant they must be each other's first dates."

I gasped. "Right! Does that mean... they love each other?" I wondered aloud, amusedly. Of course they wouldn't, not yet at least.

Asher laughed. "Perhaps!" He said. I chuckled too.