Chapter Thirty-Six

Alexander's POV

I sighed in frustration as I stopped at a red light. I thought I was going to be able to leave work early today, but then Delphine just had to call and ask a favour.

To add up to my frustrations, my phone had also gone off. I was certain Daniela had tried to call many times, and I felt bad about making her worry so much. I didn't even know how to tell her that I had to pick Delphine from the airport. I didn't even know what she was here for. Whatever it is, I just hope it has nothing to do with mine and Daniela's life.

I felt a slight headache developing, and I knew it was all thanks to Delphine's incessant blabber. She didn't seem like she had anything up her sleeve, but I knew better than to think Delphine had had a change of heart.

I didn't hesitate for a second when the lights turned green, and then headed straight home.

When I parked in the garage, I reached towards the passenger seat to grab my phone. Not only did I find my phone, I spotted pink purse on the floor of the car.

I groaned loudly, punching the steering wheel only, to startle myself with the deafening sound of the horn.

Sighing, I picked up the purse and stared at it. Delphine did leave it on purpose, and that only meant one thing.

I didn't find Daniela when I got inside, but I could hear voices coming from the kitchen. I threw the purse on the sofa and headed towards the kitchen.

I saw Daniela first, even though her back was facing me. I noticed she had changed her clothes and her hair was pulled up in a messy bun. She looked really cute from where I was standing. She was talking to Nina and Jenny with her hands moving about to make her points.

"I seriously don't know what to think now. If he's not at the office, or with his friends, then, where is he?" I could hear the worry and concern thick in her voice. A smile made its way on my face.

"I'm really sorry Ela but-" Nina's eyes suddenly met mine. "Oh. There he is."

Daniela turned to me with her mouth open in shock and confusion. She stood there for about five seconds before running to me and throwing her arms around my neck. I sighed happily as I wrapped my arms around her, bringing her close to me while I buried my face in her neck. I missed her smell.

Much to my disappointment, she withdrew quickly after. Narrowing her eyes at me, she folded her arms and gave me an expectant look.

"I'm sorry if I didn't answer any of your calls," I told her, running my fingers through my hair.

"So, you purposely ignored my calls? For what reason? Does it amuse you when I'm worried?"

"No, no." I took a step forward. "As much as it makes me happy that you care so much, I wouldn't purposely do anything to make you worry. That's messed up. My phone just went off, and I left my power bank here."

She nodded slowly. "Then what kept you. Jason told me you left the office early."

I let out a frustrated sigh. I hoped she wouldn't get angry. "Delphine just arrived in the country."

I caught the annoyed looked that crossed her face for a second, making the corner of my lip turn upward. I knew she was jealous. I just hope I wasn't the one giving her reason to be.

She walked past me, moving to the living room and then dropped on one of the sofas. "What does that have to do with anything? Did she say anything to you? Just so you know, if you're going to meet her, I don't want to go with you. I know she apologised but I still don't feel right about her."