Chapter Thirty-Nine

Daniela's POV

I returned back to my room from the bathroom after I had showered, and that was only when I heard the noises from downstairs. This time I got really scared because it wasn't a usual fight between my parents. It sounded like there were more people in the house, people I didn't know.

My curiosity got the best of me, and I couldn't convince myself to stay put. I hurriedly got dressed, and then stealthily slipped out of my room.

The voices got a bit clearer.

"It wasn't him... traitor...liar."

That wasn't my father's voice, so what in the world was going on? I carefully made my way to the top of the staircase, making sure no one from downstairs could see.

My eyes widened at what I saw and I almost screamed. I covered my mouth immediately because I couldn't trust myself not to make a sound.

My mom, who was sobbing softly, had been tightly held back by a man in dark clothing. He had his arm around my mom's neck and a gun was resting at her temple.

Tears welled up in my eyes. What were they doing to her? What had she done?

I peeped closer, and I saw my father standing in front of mom with his hands outstretched, trying to calm the buff guy in front of him down. All the strangers were in black and they all had guns.

Were they shooting a movie? Because mom had told me guns only existed in films. Then again mom always told me things like that to hide me from harsh realities. For so long she had tried to convince me that my father was not the one who killed the neighbour's parents. It had been a year since their murder, but I still remember what my dad had done, I still remembered the boy because of what had happened to me and the depressing nightmares.

I whimpered when the big man moved closer to my father and ordered him to move aside.

"Just take me," my father begged. "Leave my wife out of this."

"You didn't act like this when you killed William and his pregnant wife, so why should I spare her?" big guy went on. "She's not going to shut her trap, so she too has to go," he chuckled wickedly.

"Damon, please."

It all happened in lightning speed.

Damon pushed my father aside and then without hesitation shot my mom in her abdomen.

"Mama!" I screamed as I watched her slip from the guy holding her, to the floor with blood staining her clothes. My hand immediately clamped down on my mouth to silence my tears, when I realised the stupid thing I had done.

My dad who had crouched down at my mom's side looked up at me with eyes wide. Damon caught his gaze and pointed his gun in the direction he thought I was. He hadn't seen me yet so I quickly hid behind the wall, my heart pounding fiercely as tears slipped down my face.

"Who else are you hiding, Gabriel?" I heard Damon's voice.

I shut my eyes tightly, bracing my death. I was fine dying at twelve, if it meant I would still be with my mom and she with me.

"Get out! Out of here!" Father suddenly yelled.

My eyes opened in surprise. Wasn't he going to show them where I was, so I wouldn't be a bother to him again?

"You better shut up, Gabriel."

"Baby, go! Go!"

I was confused. He wanted me to save myself?