Chapter Forty

A/N: Oh my goodness you guys. I've been so busy that I didn't realise we're at 9k already and MDN has also ranked #4 in forcedmarriage. All in all, thank you guys so much for the support. I wouldn't have made it far without you.

Alexander's POV

I was startled awake once again for the third time since I finally found a way to fall asleep. I stretched my hand and felt around my nightstand for my phone. Turning on the phone, I realised it was only four a.m.

I sighed, sitting up and resting against the headboard. I turned to the other side of the bed and closed my eyes as yesterday's events flooded my head. Daniela was supposed to be on that side of the bed. She was supposed to be at home, with me, in my arms, but she wasn't.

What was she doing at this time? Was she sleeping? Was she comfortable? We're they treating her the way she deserved?

She was still alive, right?

Oh, hell.

I couldn't stop thinking of the many possibilities, and that was how I had ended up sleeping at one in the morning. Though I had only had roughly about three hours of sleep, I couldn't go back to bed, and I didn't even want to. I didn't want to waste the slightest time, knowing the situation could change or worsen within seconds.

After taking my bath and getting dressed I went to check on Bertha. No, she wasn't using Daniela's old room. I had had another room prepared for her, and I hoped she was doing well aside from what we all were going through.

I opened her door slightly and saw her tossing and turning on the bed. Seems I wasn't the only one suffering with sleep.

I then decided to go down to the study. I had them bring all my necessary documents and other items from the office yesterday, so I thought it was best I completed my tasks and then continue with my plans concerning Daniela today.

By the time it seven-thirty, I was almost done with the important ones, and then I decided to take a break.

I met Bertha in the kitchen, having breakfast.

"Good morning."

She lifted her head and gave a small smile when she noticed me. "Morning, son. How are you doing."

I could only shrug. "Do you have any plans for today?"

"I have to go and check things at the restaurant, but..."

I nodded slowly, understanding her immediately. "You're afraid you'll get mobbed by the paparazzi?"

"Yes," she nodded. "Those kinds of things happen, right."

"They do." I shoved my hands into the pockets of my sweatshirt. "But just let Mike or any one of the guards take you there."

"Thanks. Are you going to see her now?"

"Yeah. I can't waste any time."

"Aren't you going to eat something before you go?" She looked really concerned about me.

I shook my head and then turned around to leave. "I don't feel like it."

"Daniela wouldn't want you skipping your meals..."

At that I stopped in my tracks, turned to her and sighed.

Of course, I wouldn't say no.

I walked to the fridge and snatched out an apple before turning to leave again.

"Take care," I heard Bertha call. I couldn't bring myself to respond. I wasn't in any mood and I hoped she understood that.

Driving was much more of a task than it usually was. The reckless drivers were even more infuriating, but not to the point where I'd roll my windows down and yell colourful words at them. I didn't feel like talking. Plus, I had to save up all my energy to deal with bratty Delphine.