Chapter Thirty-Seven

Alexander's POV

"What am I supposed to do? Dammit!" I tightened my grip on my hair and then rubbed my hand over my face.

No. What the hell was I doing sitting here wallowing in negative thoughts, while Daniela was upstairs, dealing with her feelings alone?

I pushed myself up and then hurried upstairs to our bedroom, hoping that she was indeed actually there. I opened the door to the room and stopped when I saw her sitting at the foot of the bed. Her face was hidden in her hands, and I couldn't hear anything from her so I guessed she had stopped crying.

I moved to side and knelt in front of her, resting my hands on her thighs. That's when she lowered her hands and then peeked at me, her eyes were still very teary, and her face was decorated with dry streaks of tears. Thankfully, she didn't pull away this time.

"I'm so sorry my love. I didn't think she'd go that far, and I'm sorry that I didn't do anything to stop her?" I whispered to her slowly.

She sniffed narrowing her eyes at me. "Did you tell her? Did you tell her about the marriage? Are you the one who told her about my past?"

"I didn't Daniela. I give you my word. I don't know how she knows so much, but I promise I won't rest until I find out what she's up to."

The burden left my shoulders, when a small smile crept up her face. I climbed onto the bed and pulled her in for a hug, which she gladly accepted. I kissed the top of her head and brought my mouth to her ear. "Don't think too much about the things she said. You're worth more than anything she could ever think of. You're are priceless, my priceless jewel. Don't let anyone tell you different."

She squeezed me tighter, and then let go. She wiped her face and then looked at me. "I'm not bothered by the things she said, it's the fact that she knows so much that bothers me. Who else could she have told?"

Rubbing her back slowly, I kissed her cheek. "I promise to get to the bottom of this. You want to sleep now?"

She nodded. "But I think I'll have a quick shower before I do."

"Didn't you already?"

"Yeah, but I just need to get relaxed. You can join me if you want," she shrugged, smiling teasingly at me.

I returned it with a smirk, of course I wouldn't resist.

******

I pulled the covers over her and then pushed her hair off her sleep. "Go to sleep Daniela, or I won't join you."

"How much work is it?" She asked stubbornly, sitting up and pushing the covers away. "I'm sure I can wait for you."

"You're tired, and I can clearly see it in your eyes. I still have to do a ton more of work."

She pouted, getting back under the sheets. "Fine."

I smiled in satisfaction and then went to my desk and turned on my laptop. The first thing I checked were my emails. The one from Derek Anderson was first to get my attention. I sighed in frustration opening his message. I didn't have a good feeling about his sudden appearance in my office that time I had brought Daniela there. I hadn't seen him in two years, and that was after I rejected the deal he had proposed to me. I never thought he would come back, but he did and though it was normal business, I didn't feel right about it, aside from the unfavourable conditions of his proposal.

I declined his offer once again. I went through a few more emails before Daniela's voice rang in my head again.

...and I love him with all my heart.