Chapter Nineteen

Daniela's POV

Not being able to remove the horrible image from my memory, I felt tears well up in my eyes. I wiped them away before they had a chance to show their presence on my face. I could no longer convince myself that I didn't care. Of course, I cared, that's why it hurt so damn much. But I really had to forget, after all, the only thing this marriage brought together was our names and nothing else. I'd just live my life and he would live his.

When I was sure he wasn't following me, I took out my phone and called Mike. I didn't have to wait too long before I heard his voice.

"Hey Ela," he greeted happily. "What's up?"

"I need you to come pick me up right now," I sniffed.

I heard some noises from the other side. I guessed that he had been driving and he was now trying to park.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes... no. I just can't stay here anymore," I whispered, moving through random hallways just to lose Alexander. I didn't want to see him at that moment.

"Alright, is the boss coming with you?"

"No, but this time I promise he's okay with you taking me."

"That doesn't matter, I had already decided to come for you when you first asked."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'm in the area, so I'll be there in five."

"Thank you." I smiled.

Fortunately, I was able to exit the building without anyone noticing. The paps were nowhere to be found, so it made it easier to slip into Mike's car.

"So why did you have to get out of there so bad?" he asked when he started driving.

"I'm just tired, and I'm feeling really sleepy."

He smiled knowingly. "I know that's not the reason, but I'm not going to pry."

I sighed at his kindness. How was he able to manage working with Alexander?

"Alexander is really a whole lot to handle, you know," I let out.

"I know that perfectly well."

I huffed in annoyance as the image of him kissing Delphine played in my mind again.

"But he isn't actually that bad. He's quite reserved when it comes to his employees, but I know he's a nice guy," Mike continued.

"Yeah I was actually starting to believe that, until he decided to have a sweet reunion with his one and only Delphine," I rambled.

His smile faltered. "That's the name," he sighed.

"When I saw her, I thought she was a nice person."

"Everyone around her has to be really careful when dealing with her. She's very deceitful. She can stab you in the heart and make you believe she's your best friend in the same minute. I seriously don't know how the boss got involved with her."

"He's stupid when it comes to certain things," I spat.

Mike smiled sadly. "You'll be fine."

As soon as we parked in front of the hotel, my phone started ringing. Looking at the caller ID, I didn't think twice about leaving it to ring. I knew I could just decline the call, but leaving it ringing just made me feel better in a weird way.

Mike sighed beside me, totally understanding my situation. I didn't realise when he got out of the car and came round to open my door.

"Mrs Jackson?" he called, giving me his hand when I looked up to him. I glared at him for calling me that but took his hand anyway and got out of the car.