CH 72. The Secret Keepers Secrets

A/N:  Hello my loves! so I didn't write an intro this week, because this chapter has been haunting me. Both in a good way and a bad way. Originally, this was going to be split into two chapters, because I kept writing and writing, but when I went back to read it, I felt like I didn't like them separately. So in editing, I made the choice to combine the two in a way I felt worked best. A lot happened in this chapter, so let's talk in the comments. 

Please excuse any mistakes, I no longer had the mental capacity to make any more changes to this chapter. 

Love and Animagus!

-Val

~Elodie's POV~

I always hated leather chairs. While I liked the smell of the worn leather and the way it felt against skin when it's touched, sitting in a leather chair was always uncomfortable. In the winter it felt too cold, in the summer, hot skin would stick to the seat. I'd always thought best to just avoid it all together. Yet here I found myself. Sitting in a leather chair, in an office that smelled of parchment and soft towels. Ready to take a dose of Veritaserum.

"Now this is a different type of potion," Mr. Clarke told me as he took a seat across from me as Brian sat in the corner of the room. Vile in one hand, file in the other. "Not only will you be compelled to tell the truth, but it shall also take us through the history of your life."

"I'm sorry? Why is that necessary?" I asked, not entirely sure.

"Standard procedure. It is to verify that if anyone came from a line of death eaters, or if they were trained as a spy, it would be revealed to us now. Before given proper clearance to the department," He stated as he opened up the file and made several notes. "Physically, you'll be awake. But it will almost feel as if you're walking through a dream. We'll be able to communicate, but for the most part, I can be in and out fairly quickly. Just need a few notes about your family line and your upbringing," He said before he turned to hand me the vile, thought I hesitated. "I'm well aware of your situation. Don't worry, this modified potion won't cause any harm to your child."

I took the vile but still hesitated. I wasn't particularly fond of having someone else pick and prod through my head the way he needed to. It reminded me of when Snape would do it. Only he did it as a way to train me to keep some out. Would they see my life and my decisions and think I was weak? The same way my teacher had?

"Whenever you're ready. I'll be here, to talk you through it," He said encouragingly.

I lifted the vile up to inspect the clear liquid. It was like water. Clear and odorless. It would be as simple as taking a drink of water. Mindless, a habit. It slid down my throat and rested heavily in my stomach for a moment. Sitting there, swishing before it was absorbed. I sat back in my chair feeling lightheaded for a moment, before I shut my eyes, as if to fall asleep.

"Good, now focus on my voice," He said hypnotically. It sounded as if someone were talking to me as my ears were covered. Distant, and cloudy. "We're going to look through your life," He said.

I felt a poke at my fingertip and saw moments of my life flash through my head like a quick slideshow. Slowing for moments of major decisions, moments of conflict, the few short moments with my parents. I felt nauseous for a moment, but before it became worse, it was over.

"You're doing great. Now we're going to dive into a different consciousness. We have to examine the lives of your families. This may feel a bit unpleasant, but it'll be over soon," He said, giving me a fair warning.