CH 31. Well Done Dragon

~Elodie's POV~

I felt like my entire body was on fire. Literally, the sensation of burning was on my face and arms all day. I spent extra time in the shower scrubbing at both, and using a special cleanser that Angelina said she used when her skin wouldn't agree with her, but nothing seemed to help. It was beginning to freeze outside so I couldn't go out leaving my skin exposed. Instead I wore a loose fitted jumper and a jacket I borrowed from George so nothing would fit too tightly on my skin. Alicia suggested visiting Madam Pomfrey to see if I was having a reaction to anything, but since there were no visible signs of anything being wrong, I didn't see the need to.

"I still think you should at least talk to McGonagall. I know it's not visible, but what if it's some new kind of rash or something?" Katie said as we walked down to the arena.

"Perhaps later. The thought of missing this and wondering what happens sets me more on edge," I said.

It was the day of the first challenge. The twins were off taking bets for who would win first place, something I asked them not to do. But did they ever listen to me? No. I waited for Hermione who agreed to sneak down with me to have a quick word with Harry and Cedric. I still hated that I was in the middle of the two of them, but not seeing them was worse. Seeing Cedric was more about easing his nerves, whereas seeing Harry was offering possible life saving advice.

"Psst!" I called loudly as I heard footsteps near the curtain opening.

"Psst!!" Hermione repeated louder when no one came.

"Harry? Cedric? Please tell me that's you?" I asked.

"Yeah," Harry said.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked. I smacked her gently in the arm and raised an eyebrow at her to let her know that was a terrible question.

"Harry the key is to concentrate," I told him.

"And then after that you just have to..." Hermione started.

"Battle a dragon?" Harry asked sarcastically.

I gave Hermione a weary look and with a sob she flung herself through the curtain and gave me a nudge over to Cedric.

"What are you doing here?" He asked me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders, and holding me to his body tightly.

"I had to see you," I said into his chest. "It was the only way I'd be able to calm down. Besides, I have something for you" I reached into my pocket and pulled out a braided bracelet I had weaved together with embroidery floss. "It's not for luck, because you don't need any. It's for protection," I told him as I fastened a knot and tucked it into his glove. Instantly I felt the burning sensation leave my body, I hoped it hadn't gone to him, but his silence reassured me of that.

With a loud crack and a huge flash Rita Skeeter entered into the tent snapping a photo of Harry and Hermione. I rolled my eyes and put a hand on either side of Cedric's face. He looked terrified. But I knew he was ready.

"Hey, just focus okay. You're ready, and you can do this," I told him as he nodded in agreement. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, grabbed his hand, and said, "Don't fight it too much. And protect your face." With another loud crack and a huge flash another photo snapped, this time capturing Viktor, Fleur, Cedric, and I.

Dumbledore entered the tent in a rush greeting everyone. "Good day, Champions. Gather round please," He said. Cedric approached the circle, but refused to let go of my hand, and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Now you've waited, you've wondered, and at last the moment has arrived. At the moment only four of you can fully appreciate," Dumbledore said. His head bounced back and forth between me and Hermione as he noticed, we weren't champions. "What are you doing here Miss Potter? Miss Granger?" He asked whimsically.