CH. 23 The Sound of Water

~Elodie's POV~

I always loved the sound of water. Whether it be the sound of rain, a waterfall, splashing in a lake, or even a fountain. Like the one outside of Buckingham Palace. A man and woman with guitars were playing nearby. Minerva sat on a bench, while I was slightly dancing circles around the fountain. Pigeons would swoop in every here and there, but I was just minding my own business.

In a world of magic, this was what brought me the most peace. I looked over at Minerva and waved as she smiled back at me. I wondered what was going through her head sometimes. She hadn't said a word last night when we were at The Shaftesbury Theater. Normally she tends to make some comments about how lovely the shows are.

After another loop around I stopped by the musicians and left a few pounds in an open guitar case. Looking over at Minerva again I saw Padfoot in his animagus form sitting next to her. I ran over immediately and dropped to the ground to wrap my arm around his neck.

"I thought you were supposed to be in hiding," I whispered in his ear.

"He sent me an owl the other night asking to spend a bit of time with you. You might imagine my protest seeing as this is very public, and reckless. For goodness sakes Black you're not in school anymore," Minerva said scolding the both of us.

"What's life without a little risk?" I said looking up to her with a grin covering my face. Sirius nuzzled into my hair, a sign he agreed with me.

"The both of you will put an old woman in her grave," She said to us.

"No, you're indestructible," I said to her.

The three of us walked through the flea market where I bought a few new items of clothes, some records, and a couple of photo slides. I had even found a jumper that I thought Harry would like. We made our way to a hidden café in an alley where we would have enough privacy so we wouldn't have to whisper.

"Minerva, I've been meaning to ask you something," I said as I placed a plate of food on the ground for Sirius along with some tea.

"What's that my dear?" She asked.

"The time turner you gave me last year, you and Dumbledore were very clear about not going back further than five hours," I said before taking a sip of my tea. "Is there a way to go back to the night my parents died? Change things?" I asked. Both Minerva and Sirius looked at me frozen. That must be a bad sign. Sirius turned to look at her waiting for her answer, and when she didn't give one right away, he barked.

"Oh, hush you," She said to him and set down her glass. "My dear, there are some things that are limited and out of our reach, even with magic" She explained to me.

"What about if I learn to control the other side of my magic? Surely that must mean something? If not to make me more powerful then what?" I asked her, looking for some way.

I should have known by the way she looked at me that it was a shout into the void. I should have understood that there was nothing to be done.

"My dear, if there was any way to change what happened that night, I would have found a way. We all would have. No good can come from using dark magic to rewrite the past," She told me flatly.

I looked down at Sirius to see him looking at me in return. "It's not fair," I said in a soft voice. "I'm still getting cloudy memories. I just keep thinking, if they were still here, that wouldn't be happening. Sirius would be free, and Harry and I would be together in one home."

"I know life has been unfair to you, the both of you, but you have to believe that someday everything will be better. Like that vision of yours," She told me.