CH 62. The First Act

A/N: No preview for this chapter, cause I'm scared anything I say would only act as a spoiler. I made a playlist while writing this chapter because it was a lot of instrumental/Score witchy vibes. Let me know if you'd like me to share it, cause I feel like listening to it as you read through gives it that extra oomf. I also described a few additional characters, let me know if you'd like to see the photos I used as inspiration for them.

A few of the songs that helped with this chapter:

How Soon is Now - Love Spit Love

The Targaryen Wolf - Peter Gundry

Davy Jones - Hans Zimmer

Lala Lala - Cemetery Girls

~Elodie's POV~

It didn't feel anything like flying. It felt like not being able to take in a breath, even though the air was moving right past us. If muggles did things like this for fun, I couldn't see the pleasure. Perhaps it's because it was a long while before I could see the ground, and my mind was too focused on falling that I couldn't think straight enough to slow us down.

Now...

Cast a barrier...

Now!

I saw the stone ground and opened my hands that had been balled into fists, casting a barrier two feet above the ground so we wouldn't smash to our deaths. Catching everyone, I looked to see they'd all stopped falling before letting out the breath I'd been holding in releasing the barrier, dropping us at a more reasonable height.

"Sorry," I said after hearing several thuds.

"Don't," I heard Ginny say.

"That was brilliant," Hermione added.

But as I stood to my feet. I couldn't focus on her words. All I could hear was the whispers in my head. Only now they were entering through my ears. Slowly, I turned and saw the same stone archway from my vision. Only there was no one in front of it. Inside it appeared as if a thin sheet of tule was flowing in the wind as the voices cascaded through. All trying to speak first.

"The voices, can you tell what they're saying?" Harry asked. My head snapped to look at him. How could he hear it?

"There aren't any voices Harry," Hermione said confidently. "Let's get out of here."

"I hear them too," Luna added.

I stared at both of them. Was it that the veil was shy, and being selective over who could hear? Or was it something that could only be heard by those that were actually aware of what was here? There was a feeling of cold air, and complete stillness. There was a feeling of death. Yet it was so enchanting.

Many lives...

Long passed...

Our bodies passed through...

Not our magic...

'Tis almost time...

"Get behind me!" Harry called out to everyone, pulling me out of my trance as I felt his back press against mine. Above our heads, the flying black clouds of smoke returned. Swooping down to try and pull us apart. I grabbed onto Harry before they could get too close, sandwiching his orb between our stomachs. I felt someone get too close and with great ease, I pulled him down to the ground then wrapped my body over him to shield him away.