CH 39. Biscotti and The Hogwarts March

~Fred's POV~

The first week of exams had finished, and everyone was halfway relieved. Tomorrow was the last task of the tournament, Monday and Tuesday were the last day of Exams, finishing the Term and then Wednesday we'd all be on the Hogwarts Express back to Kings Cross. Another term would have ended, and another Summer would begin. As it always did. Only this time, things felt different. There was a cloud of Celebration in the air. Hogwarts was the favorite to win the Triwizard tournament.

Last night as we were studying for exams the atmosphere between our circle seemed different as well. Angelina and George seemed like they were finally in a good spot, much to his satisfaction. Lee and Katie seemed to be getting more comfortable as time went on. And Alicia, well she was still holding out for the perfect girl. Unfortunately for her, I was working on earning the perfect girl for myself.

I had a dream that night as I fell asleep next to Elodie. That I'd told her I fancied her, and the feeling was mutual. Waking up to her curled in my arms gave me the courage I needed to put it out on the line. It didn't even bother me when her and Diggory went for a private conversation this morning. The thought crossed my mind for a split second that maybe they would have gotten back together. But I decided that so long as I put everything out in the open, if I confessed to her how I truly felt, then getting my heart broken by her rejection wouldn't be so bad.

I walked into the Great hall and saw Elodie sitting with George and Ginny. I couldn't help but smile. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing that for the rest of my life. Not necessarily in this setting, but just the picture of her intertwining her life with my families. She was already an honorary Weasley, and while she'd told me she never saw herself getting married or having children, perhaps we could be one of those pairs that grow old together and constantly travel the world. The fun aunt and uncle that spoil everyone with gifts.

I could see that. I could see us as being endgame. We just had to get over this hump. I wasn't in a rush. She could take all the time she needed. I'd tell her tonight, that way we'd end the year where I'd wanted to be for what felt like a lifetime. She finally looked completely happy. I'd burn the image into my brain and hold it there for the rest of my life.

"You know, as much as I want to dislike you, it's definitely a lovely sight, seeing her that happy," Cedric said as walked up and stood next to me, taking in the sight.

"Funny, as much as I want to dislike you, I think I have you to thank," I told him.

"You don't read much outside the wizarding community do you?" He asked me to which I shook my head. "It's an acquired taste. But there's this thought by a philosopher somewhere that said 'everyone gets probably two or three great loves in their life. The first is the one that awakens a different type of love within you, it teaches you how to feel and what it means to be loved by someone. The second, tends to be one that takes you by surprise, because you weren't expecting it, and it teaches you to love inside out, flaws and all.' I know I made mistakes, I tried to make her someone she's not, and I took her for granted but if she was going to be with anyone else, I'm glad she has you," he said sincerely.

"Thank you? Does that mean you're going to back off?" I asked him, still holding concern.

"I still love her mate, I always will.She's the best person I know, and if the day comes that she tells me she loves me too, nothing will stand in my way," He admitted. As much as I hated it, I knew I would do the same. "So don't soil it. Develop a taste for muggle authors, that's the only tip I'll give you" He said and proceeded over to his table, keeping eyes on her the entire time.

I didn't bother to look his way the rest of the night, there was no need. I sat next to her and every now and then I'd tap her foot, earning a cunning smile from her. When she'd shiver from the cold, she would lean into me just slightly, using me as her own personal radiator. Not that I minded much.