CH 37. Sweater Weather

~Fred's POV~

"Just how many O.W.L.S are you taking?" I asked Elodie as she shifted between book after book. We were in the library studying for the upcoming exams. We had about half of them before the last task and the other half after that.

"Don't you mind me, just work on that History of Magic guide I gave you," She told me as she returned to her notes.

She'd been in a better mood lately, though she didn't say why. I wasn't questioning it. I like to see her like this. We had gotten past the 'New normal' and were back to the way things were before. Cedric and I were courteous enough towards one another, making things easier. George and Angie for some odd reason hadn't made much progress. Something about him leaving her at the party alone after the second task. I couldn't remember much of that night other than making peace with Cedric, and then waking up in bed the next morning.

The quiet was nice, it needed no words or senseless conversation. We just shared the comfortable silence. It felt like we'd been in the library for hours, people would come and join us, and then leave after a while. The library would be closing soon enough, yet neither of us made an attempt to leave.

"Shouldn't you be off pulling a prank on an unexpecting poor soul?" She asked after even Hermione had called it a day and left. I just shook my head at her and returned to my work, continuing to steal my glances.

"Cold?" I asked her after I saw her rub her hand on her arm. She nodded at me and I proceeded to remove my jumper and hand it over to her. She put it on immediately and pushed up the sleeves that were too long for her. I looked back at my work but noticed her take in a whiff of the collar and smile. She liked the way I smelled.

"I think my brain has had enough for today?" She said as she shut one of her textbooks and placed it in her pile to be returned to their rightful places.

"I second that," I told her and began packing up my belongings. We left the Library and began walking towards the common room. Every now and then I'd see her steal a sniff of my sweater, and then act like nothing happened.

 Every now and then I'd see her steal a sniff of my sweater, and then act like nothing happened

"So, are you excited for your birthday tomorrow?" She asked me as we proceeded on slowly.

"Always am. A day dedicated to George and me, which we choose to dedicate to pranking everyone in the castle. Are you getting me something nice?" I asked her and shot her a cheeky smile.

"Don't I always?" She told me.

"You do, how's it we never celebrate your birthday?" I asked her as the thought dawned on me. But just as soon as I spoke it, I remembered.

She scrunched up her face a bit, the way someone would if they took in the smell of something unpleasant. "I'm not too keen on Celebrating it, you know that" She told me.