CH 8. Gift of Knowledge

~Elodie's POV~

"You wanted to see me, Professors?" I said to Dumbledore and Minerva as I walked into Dumbledore's office. Hermione had found me after breakfast letting me know that they wanted to see me. Wow, first week and I'm already getting called in for a parent teacher conference. I knew I hadn't been very focused this week, but I thought this was a bit much.

"Have a seat my dear," Dumbledore told me, gesturing to an empty seat in front of his desk. "Now, Minerva tells me you were a bit torn between the classes you had selected," He said.

"Yes, well I was able to take a fair amount last term, but I had a rather hard time selecting this time cause so many were at the same time," I explained to him.

"Yes well, Dumbledore and I have decided that you may be permitted to take them all, so long as you believe you can keep up with your classwork?" Minerva explained to me, but it didn't make any sense.

I thought it over, but there was no way I would be able to actually take everything, had there been I would have figured it out.

"I know I could," I told her. "But how am I to do that? I would need to be in two places at once. No one can do that."

"Not without the proper tools Ms. Potter," Dumbledore told me as he turned to grab a box from his desk. He walked over and handed it to me, in the golden box there was a glass window that showed a sand hourglass hanging from a chain. But the sand was unusual. It wasn't golden in color, instead it was black.

"Sir?" I asked, confused.

"This my dear, is called a time turner. It's used to travel in time, one turn per hour you wish to travel back, essentially allowing you to be in two places at once" Minerva explained to me.

I was left amazed, the few times we had learned about time turners, it was said that they were heavily regulated by the Ministry, due to them often producing more harm than good. I looked at them and they both had grins on their faces. One turn per hour, so if I wanted to go far enough back...?

"So, you're saying..." I began but was cut off.

"A word of caution Ms. Potter, you must remember, no one may know, and you mustn't be seen, not even by your past self." Dumbledore said no longer smiling, instead there was a grave look on his face.

"Sir?" I asked not understanding.

"Terrible things happen to witches that meddle with time, no one must know," Minerva said to me. She reached up to Dumbledore who was handing her a piece of parchment. She signed it and handed it over to me, "Your new class schedule dear. You'll find all your books are in my office, go on." She said to me.

I stood up and began to walk away and turned back to them for a moment. "Thank you," I said to them. As I began to leave, I heard them resuming in conversation.

"She's an extraordinarily smart girl, she'll use it well," Dumbledore said to her confidently.

Minerva spoke a bit differently. There was worry in her voice when she said, "Oh Albus, she's still so young."

"You forget yourself my dear Minerva, she was technically their child. It is as they wished for it to be." He explained to her.

"Then it has begun," Minerva's voice sounded hallow, as if there was more that she wanted to say but couldn't bring herself to say it. I wanted to go back and check on her, but I knew, no good would come of my having eavesdropped.

I tucked the necklace under my robes to conceal it. And made my way to Minerva's office. As I turned a corner I bumped into Cedric, more like he crashed into me. It took me a moment to realize it was him, but once I had I was washed over with a wave of dread. I thought I would have had more time before I would see him.