People Can Change [15]

A single dandelion swayed along with the gentle breeze, your hand reaching down to pluck it as your gym teacher continued to list off pairs of students for today's activity; partnered workouts. "Morrison, Cohen. Murphy, Smith. Phelps, L/N. Jefferson...", you dropped the flower that was within your hand, wondering if you had just heard that correctly. "He did not just say Phelps, did he?", you internally groaned to yourself before Todd and Maple walked past you, giving you an apologetic look before your lilac haired friend spoke up, "Yeesh, sorry Y/N! Try not to let him get to you.", she advised before herself and Todd walked off to start the assignment.

You smiled at your friends before turning around, looking among the group of students in an attempt to spot your less than desired partner for today, "Where is that guy? Might as well get to it, I don't need to have points deducted because of him.", you mumbled to yourself before you felt someone give the back of your head a flick, catching you off guard, "H-hey!", you quickly spun around, now eye to eye with Travis, "Looks like we're stuck together. Let's just get this over with. Try not to make us look bad in front of Coach Jensen, my grades can't flop just because you don't wanna do sit ups.", he annoyedly remarked, walking off.

You rolled your eyes as you followed behind him, running a hand though your hair, "Trust me, I'm not excited about this either, Travis. But yeah, let's just get this over with. You want to start off with a lap around the track?". The blond boy in front of you shrugged, "Whatever, just don't show off and sprint. My leg's fucked up so I can't go that fast.", he explained. Eyes shifting down to look upon his legs, you saw a large purple bruise on his ankle, it was definitely not a pretty sight. Feeling a shiver go down your spine as you saw his injury, curiosity got the better of you, leading you to ask, "Geez, what the hell happened? That looks bad. You sure you'll be alright?".

Sure you knew Travis hated your guts and you certainly weren't fond of him either, but you were a sympathetic person and couldn't help but feel bad after seeing that horrible bruise. Reaching the track, he turned to look at you, eyebrow raised as if he was surprised to hear you possibly be concerned for him, "It's nothing. Quit being nosy, Y/N. Worry about your own problems.", his tone being as nasty as ever.

You sighed, "So much for being nice...", you thought to yourself before beginning to jog at a steady pace, Travis jogging along besides you as a few other pairs of students did the same. The two of you jogged in silence for a while before to your surprise, Travis started to strike up a conversation, "Hey, speaking of being nosy, did you hear about those rumors going around about you?", he said, glancing over at you while continuing to jog, "Huh? What rumors? I didn't realize I was that important for people to go around spreading rumors about me.", you sarcastically remarked, taking steady breaths in order to speak clearly.

He laughed, "People are saying you and Pigtails are dating. That's hilarious.", he snickered. "Oh, people are saying that?", you asked, looking over at him just as you finished your lap around the track, the both of you now walking over towards the grassy field, "Well, it's not a rumor. Sal and I have been dating for a while now, we just don't go around making it obvious I guess?", you stated, wiping a bit of sweat off your brow as Travis stared at you in disbelief.

Once what you had just said processed within his head, he loudly exclaimed, "What the fuck? You two freaks are actually dating?", making you jump slightly at the sudden change of tone. Looking over your shoulder, you gave him a smug smile, "What? Jealous I landed myself the cutest boy in school?", you teased, laughing as you sat upon the fluffy grass, "Hands off Travis, those pigtails are mine.", you joked.

Furrowing his brows, he looked away, "T-tch! As if! Gross...", as he sat next to you upon the field, you noticed a bit of a red tint across his cheeks, he was...blushing? You had no clue why he'd be blushing, but you figured maybe the topic of relationships possibly made him uncomfortable, considering how conservative his beliefs were.