Protect Him [10]

Eight more minutes left, you're going to make it as long as you keep up your steady pace. The sun was partially blocked out on this early October afternoon, at least you had that to your advantage as you ran upon the track field. "Ugh, why do we have to do this stupid timed mile every damn week? I swear, Coach Jensen's got a grudge against us students or something.", you internally groaned to yourself, huffing slightly as you continued to run along with other students behind and in front of you, some already sat on the bleachers after finishing their laps.

"One more lap, almost there, only a couple more-", a foot was suddenly shoved into your path, catching you completely off guard and unable to think fast enough to prevent anything. Before you knew it you felt your body stumble onto the ground as you tripped over the unexpected obstacle, falling onto your hands an knees quite forcefully, which caused a small yelp to escape your lips.

Looking up from where you were, you saw a familiar unpleasant blond figure running past you, completely ignoring you and acting as if he had done nothing wrong. Todd had seen everything from where he sat upon the grass waiting for both you and Maple to finish your laps, immediately getting up to run over and check on you, "Y/N, are you okay? That looked like quite the fall. I've got bandages in my locker I can give you after class.", he explained as you slowly got up, the scrapes upon your hands and knees now visible; red and raw.

"Thanks Todd, I appreciate it. Thanks for checking on me, I'm okay. Travis just had to bother us for the day somehow. God, I hate having him in this class with us.", you said with a sigh, before dusting your gym clothes off and turning back to your red haired friend, "Well, I still gotta finish my damn laps. Thanks again for offering the bandages! I'll see you after I finish this last lap.", and with that you took off, wanting to get the miserable process over with. At least your next and final class of the day was art with Larry, Sallyface and Ash, you weren't going to let Travis ruin your mood. Not a chance in hell.
* * *
"Hey, where's Y/N? She's usually here by now. I want her opinion on my shading for this drawing.", Larry spoke, glancing over towards the open classroom door, waiting to see you walk in at any given moment. "She had PE last period, right?", Ash asked while she prepared her art supplies, "Maybe she just took a while getting changed, or her teacher lost track of time. I'm sure she's coming.", she reassured the two boys sitting at the table.

Sallyface looked at the empty seat across from him, he too was wondering why you hadn't arrived yet. Art class wouldn't feel the same without you, so of course he was getting a bit antsy as the late bell was sure to ring soon, "...I'm gonna sharpen my pencils, I'll glance down the hall and see if I see her. Ash is right, she's gotta come sooner or later.", he got up from his seat and began towards the pencil sharpener mounted on the wall besides the classroom door.

Out in the hallway, you tiredly made your way to class with a less than excited expression on your face, "Man, of course the day I wear shorts to school Travis decides to be a massive dick. Now they're all gonna worry about me, even though it isn't a big deal...", your thought was cut off once you entered the room, seeing Sallyface standing right besides the door as he sharpened his pencils, his attention immediately turning to you, "Hey, there you are Y/N! We were waiting for...you.".

You saw his gaze behind the mask shift from your face down towards your bandaged hands, and then onto your bandaged knees, rendering him speechless for a moment. In an attempt to avoid him worrying about you, you quickly offered him a forced smile and placed your hand on his shoulder, "H-heh, yeah, it looks bad, I know. Don't mention it. Cmon Sal, let's sit down.", your voice was much softer when you spoke just now, clearly embarrassed over what had happened last period.

Beginning to walk towards your usual table, Sallyface followed closely besides you, clearly worried as he rambled on question after question, "A-are you sure you're okay? What happened? Did you fall? Did...someone push you?", he asked with a concerned tone, catching the attention of both Larry and Ash who now also took notice of your injuries before you plopped down into your seat.