Midnight Seance [9]

"Heh, you're an awfully big fella. Where are you off to? Got a date with a certain shiny lamp?", the fuzzy moth that landed upon the steps besides you wriggled around, seemingly unsure of where it was going until it took off once again, back into the darkness of the night beyond the lightly illuminated front steps of Addison Apartments, where you currently sat, alone.

"Bye then, Mr.Moth.", your eyes attempted to watch the nocturnal insect fly away for as long as possible until eventually, it blended into the pitch black of the nighttime scenery, it was silly but you still found yourself worrying for the poor thing, hoping an owl wouldn't have it as a late night snack. Tucking your legs closer to your body, you hugged your knees to your chest and wrapped your worn, brown leather bomber jacket tighter around yourself, head now resting upon your knees as you blankly stared at nothing in particular, the face of your father in the back of your mind all the meanwhile, this was his old jacket of course, how could you not think of him?

Although, you had to admit, it did need a bit of work done to it so it'd look less tattered, you haven't exactly been up to speed on maintaining it. While you began to pinpoint and take mental notes of all the areas that were in need of some stitching and patchwork, the sound of a car creeping into the lot made you redirect your attention from the jacket towards the pair of gleaming headlights, which were turned off soon after, signaling the car had been parked.

Footsteps began to approach, from a distance all you could make of the person was that they were tall and walking at a very relaxed pace, which quickly made sense to you once they had gotten close enough for the dim light from within the building to illuminate them; it was Larry who had emerged from the night's void, plastic convenience store bag in one hand, orange bottle of prescription medication in the other, "Y/N? The fuck are you doing out here? You shouldn't be alone outside this late, it's like half past 11 by now.".

You looked at him from where you sat for a second, before standing up, patting any dirt and dust off yourself before making eye contact with him again, smiling, "I'm okay Larry, see?", your arms lifted themselves up, baggy jacket hiding most of your frame, "-all in one piece. I just came outside to hang out for a while, without my mom telling me to go back inside. She's working the night shift at her job today. What're you doing out so late though? Did you go for a midnight snack run?".

The boy laughed as he walked up the steps, now standing besides you to show you all the snacks the plastic bag contained; chips, candy, soda, you name it, "My mom didn't realize her prescription was running out already so I offered to get it for her, the pharmacy's open all night anyways. So is the convenience store next to it." he smirked. You couldn't help but share his grin, Larry cared deeply about his mother and you respected that about him, he was the most loving son you'd ever met, all while still being a big ol' goofball.

"Let's get you inside, cmon. I'll wait with you until your mom gets back, just give me a second to drop off my mom's pills, then we can head on up.", his offer was one you couldn't decline, and off the two of you went back inside the warm confines of the apartment building.
* * *
Steaming, rich brown caffeine flowed from the pot and into the ceramic mug, nearly reaching the brim before the container was put back into it's place within the coffee maker. A mask-less Sal steadily walked into his father's room to give him the beverage he had asked for, "Careful, it's fresh so it's really hot. Need anything else, dad?", his father replying with a fatigued voice.

"No, that's all, thanks kiddo. Gotta get this work done somehow.", his head never turning to look away from the electrical blue glow of the computer screen. Leaving his father to his seemingly never ending work, Sal walked back into the living room with a sigh, glancing over at the TV which was broadcasting the usual late night news station, "...and with that, it is currently 11:49PM, Friday, September 25th, let's take a look at next week's weather forecast-", click.