The Truth Comes Out [4]

[ ! Trigger Warning: Descriptions of Gore ! ]

Step, step, step. Grumbling, you rolled over onto the opposite side of your bed, covers pulled over your head, encasing you in a warm cocoon as you remained asleep. Step, step, step. You began to slowly gain consciousness, were you dreaming, or actually hearing these noises? Not wanting to let your precious slumber slip away, you flipped onto your back blanket now resting below your waist. Only now did you begin to feel the cold, stale atmosphere of the room, goosebumps forming upon your arms and exposed stomach.

Eyes slowly opening, you stared up at the ceiling which was barely illuminated by the lava lamp upon your desk, a faint pink glow the only source of light within your windowless room. "Why the hell is it so cold all of a sudden? Did mom lower the thermostat before bed? Wait, do we even have one?", you aimlessly thought, eyelids beginning to become heavy once again, sleep beginning to creep back to you. One last time you decided to turn and adjust your sleeping position before drifting back off to sleep, but once you did so, your eyes caught something strange upon the floor besides your bed, "F-feet? Wait, what?-", was the last phrase you remembered thinking before you looked up from the set of feet.

There stood an entire person, or, at least the apparition of what used to be a living person. A woman, a horrendously brutalized woman. Blood dripped down from the gaping wounds onto the lilac dress she wore upon her body, the two most notable gashes being one upon her head, the other across her throat. Her eyes, oh god her eyes, they were drained of all life, what you could tell once were kind and lovely eyes, now were just empty, soulless orbs. Making eye contact with the ghostly figure is what caused you to lose all consciousness.
* * *
"Y/N? Hey kiddo, you listening?" Your mom asked from the drivers seat of the car, giving your shoulder a gentle nudge. "O-oh, sorry mom, I'm not super awake today, had a hard time sleeping last night.", you replied, voice clearly full of drowsiness. You placed a hand over your face, attempting to shield your eyes from the morning sun that hardly shone through several thick grey clouds, annoyed at having to wake up so early just to go buy groceries, school supplies, and register at the new school you'd be attending.

You loved your mom but man, her habit of doing errands so early in the morning really bugged you. While the car continued rolling down the road, you fondly remembered the previous day, thinking about your only two friends you had made so far. The feeling of Sal's hair came back to you, it was surprisingly soft and thick, smelling faintly of coconut, must be the scent of the shampoo he used. Getting to touch his hair was a very profound moment for you, it made you feel like he knew you could be trusted. You wouldn't hurt him. Larry's hair however was a whole other story, you swore you had to pull out at least a dozen tangles. Other than that though, Larry's hair was pretty nice too, you could tell his shampoo was mint scented.

These innocent hair related thoughts were unfortunately interrupted by your mother asking, "Did you really that much trouble sleeping last night, honey? You're like a zombie right now, I can barely get a peep out of you.". Your heart sunk and stomach turned. Last night, last night you had experienced the most terrifying event of your life so far. You attempted to convince yourself it was nothing but a grotesque nightmare, or a hallucination caused by your half awake mind, but you knew in your heart and gut that those options weren't the truth. They were just excuses you tried to make to avoid the unnerving truth, you had seen a ghost. The ghost of a woman who you knew had once been beautiful, but last night she appeared to you as a chilling, dreadful spirit.

Swallowing the lump in your throat, you casually replied with a, "Yeah, guess it's just me having a bit of trouble adjusting to the new place. Don't worry about it though mom, I really like it here, Larry and Sal have been really helpful.". Smiling, your mother let out a relived sigh, "I'm so glad that you made friends so quick, Y/N. They seem right up your alley too, I saw them outside the other day when I came back from work, a tall boy with long hair and um, a boy with blue hair who wears a...mask? Quite the interesting pair!", she exclaimed.