Chapter Eight

Kayla woke up and rolled over and realized she had the whole bed to herself. She felt the complete emptiness of being alone and it made her sad, she missed having Colton lying next to her. Before she used to miss having Nate lying next to her, but she realized that her relationship with Colton was becoming much more serious then she had thought because she rarely thought about Nate. She sat up and looked at the clock and realized she was late for school. She quickly jumped out of bed and saw a note on the bathroom mirror from Colton. It read: at work all day, probably won't be home till super late -C. Kayla quickly showered and got dressed and left for school. When she arrived at her class, Kayla was right on time and quickly sat in the seminar room. Everyone in the room was staring at her and she knew it wasn't just because she was late. It was because Colton went to a charity event Friday night, with his wedding ring on, without his wife, who happened to be her. And also because of the pictures that surfaced on Perez Hilton's website showing her and Colton moving her belongings from her apartment to his beach house. She had looked them up on her laptop waiting for the professor and she quickly exited out of the browser, as she did not want to see what Perez or anyone else had to say of their unorthodox relationship. Her professor showed up and class began and two hours later she was finished. She only had a few more weeks and then she would be graduated and after that she didn't know. She didn't know if she should look for a teaching job in Los Angeles or Malibu or take a year off to get to know Colton better. She knew she would have to talk with Colton about it eventually but she decided to wait until after she graduated in a few weeks.

Colton was having a stressful day at work. All his business deals were finally going through and he was also thinking about how he could make his relationship with Kayla a little bit less awkward. Anna had walked into his office and he didn't even realize it until she sat down in front of him.

"What are you thinking about? You've done very well today and business is flourishing," Anna said looking at him. She could see the stress lines in his face and he looked remarkably like his father.

"That's great," Colton said quietly. He was clearly distracted by something but she couldn't figure it out. He scratched his chin as he looked at his computer screen. He wasn't looking at anything work related but the photos of him and Kayla moving her stuff into his house on Perez Hilton.

"What's wrong?" Anna said nicely she walked around to his side of the desk and leaned against his desk looking at him. Colton exited out of his browser and then leaned back in his chair, he was exhausted from the deals that went through that day and from trying to convince Kayla he wasn't a complete idiot.

"It's tough being married. Especially to someone you don't even know," Colton said to her as he rubbed his hands through his hair. Anna smiled at him and fixed his hair after he ran his hands through it.

"Obviously. That's what drinking does to you. It's your fault you are in this mess," Anna said bluntly. Colton smirked at her and held her hand as she smiled again at him.

"Okay, I get that you think I'm an idiot but can I get a little bit of sympathy here," Colton said smiling at her.

"Sure, Colton. I'm sorry that you are stuck in a marriage that you don't want to be in and you are married to someone who judges your every move because she doesn't know you because you don't let people in," Anna said walking around to the chair in front of his desk. Colton thought about it; Anna was right he didn't tell Kayla anything. Everything she knew about him she learned from magazines or by accident. If Byron hadn't of been at the golf course when she showed up, she wouldn't have known about him until the family dinner his father put on. He had never mentioned his mother in front of her and he has yet to mention his sister.