Chapter Thirteen

Thursday morning was the worst morning. Colton barely slept because Kayla was sobbing all night, so he went to sleep downstairs and Rocky followed him down and slept on top of him. When 6:30am came Colton was already ready for the day to be over. He got off the couch and went upstairs to have shower, only to notice that Kayla had stopped crying and was sprawled across the bed with Casey sleeping on his pillow. He went into the shower quickly and then went back downstairs to let Rocky out and made himself a quick breakfast. He was amazed when Kayla came downstairs in a hoodie and sweatpants. Her eyes were all puffy from crying and she didn't say anything to him. He watched her as she let Casey out and ate her bowl of fruit.

"Are you just going to mope around the house today?" Colton asked eating his fruit. She looked up and glared at him and then went back to eating her fruit. "You do know that you have to bring the dogs to the vet for their shots right?" He pointed at the calendar on the fridge door.

"Yeah I know, I'm bringing them," she said quietly her voice was hoarse from crying.

"Okay, umm, I'm going to go now and so I can home early if you want, if not I'll probably be at the office late," Colton said smiling quickly trying to subtly reassure her that everything will be okay.

"Doesn't matter to me," she said as she put her bowl in the sink. Colton nodded and then went to work and Kayla let the dogs in and went back upstairs to sulk in bed. She was wondering how her sister's flight was. A couple of hours later she managed to get out of bed and shower, she put her brown hair in a messy bun and put a little bit of makeup on and then got the dogs into Colton's Range Rover and drove to the vets. When she arrived there were only two people in the waiting room. A younger man, around her age, he had blonde hair in a buzz cut and he smiled at her with his perfectly white teeth when she walked in. There was an elderly lady sitting on the other side of the waiting room, who had curly short grey hair and purple glasses that had a string on them so when she took them off they would hang around her neck and she wouldn't lose them. Kayla had Rocky and Casey on leashes and she brought them up to the receptionist desk to check them in.

"Hello," Kayla said as she reached the desk.

"Hi, you have an appointment?" The receptionist asked nicely, she had blue braces on and wore way too much makeup.

"Yeah, for Rocky and Casey," Kayla said trying to smile.

"Okay, perfect. Just sit in the chairs over there and the vet will come out and get you," she explained. Kayla turned back around and the older lady had left while her back was turned and the guy had opened a golfing magazine. Kayla sat on the opposite side of the waiting area and Rocky and Casey sat patiently and to Kayla's surprise did not bark at the man. He looked up and smiled at Kayla again and she noticed he had hazel eyes. He looked at her dogs and then looked back at her.

"First time at the vet?" He asked nicely. Kayla stared at him absentmindedly not really hearing the question and when he noticed he sat forward and patiently waited for her to answer.

"Oh, umm, yeah. First time. You?" She managed to sputter out.

"No, Charlie and I have been here a few times," he chuckled. "I have a Rottweiler." He moved over to a chair closer to her and smiled.

"That's nice. How old is he?" She asked.

"He's three. I'm Mike Conway by the way," he said smiling holding his hand out. Kayla shook his hand and smiled at him and couldn't believe how gorgeous he was. She thought he was incredibly charming and very nice.

"I'm Kayla... Manning. Rocky is eight and Casey is about seven months old," Kayla said scratching Rocky's ears.

"Awe they are great looking dogs. Did you adopt them?" he asked inquisitively.