Chapter 26 (Part 1)

AARAV

'It was not always like this. Aayan and I were not always like this. Although, we are not connected by blood. We were close when we we were kids. I still remember when dad bought a scared little boy with a bugs bunny stuff toy in his hand to our house after his mother's death. His eyes twinkled when he saw me. My parents were never there for me anyway, they were always busy with work. So, I found my new bestfriend with him. We were inseparable. We were brothers.' I said reminiscing that day as clear as yesterday.

'Then what happened?' I could barely hear Antara's feeble voice. She should not have been stuck in our world. Our lives. She was like a docile dove that I was just about to taint with our story. But, she deserved it, she deserved to know the truth.

'The Fame. The people around us. Our own parents. And Her. All broke us.'

'Her?' I smiled at her curiousity at the mention of her. Isn't tragic love stories, broken hearts and personal lives of other- a always favourite topic of other's curiosity? And she was no other.

'Mia. Her name was Mia.' I loved the way her name rolled off my tongue after years. 'I loved her. And so did Ayaan.' I said bitterly.

I could hear a small gasp escaping Antara's mouth. I lit a cigarette and went to stand by the window. I needed it to go through the story.

'Isn't there always a girl involved? Wars were fought just for a woman. We are still just brothers.'

'Ayaan had a rough childhood. Thanks to our dad. He abandoned is first wife, Ayaan's mom and married mine. He came from a big movie family and his family wouldn't accept anyone any less than royalty. Ayaan's mother was a commoner. His mother's sudden death brought him to our house. He never considered my mom as his and I never kept it against him. I would have done the same.'

'You know this is how our filmy families are progressive-complicated?!' I continued with sarcasm dripping my voice.

'But none the less, Ayaan and I were always there for each other. We went to school together and college together. I was his big brother and he was my partner in my crime. Those were one of the best years of my life.' I smirked remembering how we sailed through school and college.'We did all the shit for  the first time together- sneaked japanese whiskey from dad's collection, smoked our first cigerette and our first joint together. Girls were never a problem. Coming from a filthy rich family, add bollywood to that has its own perks. We were brats.'

'We also worked as ADs on a huge banner film together at the age of 18. There we met Mia. She was one of the assistant set designers and we hanged out together all the time. She was our third wheel. Soft but lively, beautiful but strong, very opinionated and always fighting with Ayaan. I started dating her before I got my big break. That's why not a lot of people know about her.'

'Where is she now?' Anatara asked. For a few moments I had forgotten I was narrating this story to her and she was there too. But, I was not ready to answer her this question yet.

So, I continued ignoring her question.

'I got a break first and then Ayaan. Our first movies were blockbusters. As he grew up, he also started digging around his mother's death. And that started our downfall.' I cringed as I said those words.

My words fumbled as I said the next part. I don't know if it is my story to tell, but, somehow I trusted Antara. Just as I trusted Mia with everything back then.

'Our dad, let's just say he is not a very good man. What he want and needs is anything that makes profit and scales his image in the society. Ayaan's mother's death was a result of that. She was burnt in a house fire that was allegedly conspired by my father. And thus, the hate for him. '

'Wha.. at?' She stammered while I nodded at her, giving her time to digest all this information.

'Ayaan went on a self destructive path from there. The fame you earn get you all types of people. He chose all the wrong ones. Including Mia.' ...