Chapter 25

'Aaarav' I ran towards him and hugged him tightly. Warmth engulfed me completely and he wrapped his arms around my back.

'How? You? Police? That Kid?' I asked frantically, since he was supposed to be in the custody apparently. And here he stood at the back of the police station in a small quarter that was used to store stuff for the station given the storage boxes that lied all around.

'Shhh Shh' I felt his hand on the back of my head calming me down as he broke the hug apart slowly.

Next I saw him take out wads of some cash from his pocket and handing it to a thanedar who closed the door of the quarter shut and went away from there.

'Money can do a lot of things for you Antara' He explained as he saw my eyes taking in the transaction that just happened in doubt.

'Did you do it?' I asked hesitantly. I needed to know the answer.

A small sad smile took over his lips. 'You waste no time to ask questions. Do you?'

'Aarav please' I begged as he sighed.

'Yes I did it'

I closed my eyes as a tear rolled out of eye.

'But it was never meant to hurt you Antara. Heck it wasn't even meant to hurt Ayaan. I swear' He said taking both my hands in his large one. I could feel the genuineness in his voice. But, I was always a fool who always believed everything everyone said. Wasn't I?

Only one question ran in my head.

'Why?' I asked, my voice cracking.

'Antaraa' He whispered, his voice almost tired from everything. He turned to the small window that looked out in the dark nothingness. Empty barren land. Just like what I felt from inside right now.

'Please Aarav, I deserve this at least. I came to Mumbai with very simple dreams, to live a simple life. I never wanted any of this. Especially when all I have been is a pawn between you two since I came here.' My voice reeked desperation, but that was what I was right now. Desperate. From some, any answers.

'Especially when we were going to get engaged just a few hours ago.' I added hesitantly.

'But you were never going to go through that engagement, were you?' He spoke turning around looking straight into my eyes.

'I..I' Voice barely made out of my throat as his eyes bore into mine.

'Common Antara, it was all over your face. I have seen you with Ayaan. I have seen the kind of looks my brothers gives to you. And how you look at him' He said.

'That's not true. There is nothing between us.' I said taking a step back from him.

'Even someone blind can see the tension between you two' He said apologetically.

'And still you wanted to go through the engagement? I genuinely considered you my friend.' Something just broke inside my heart. I could feel it pain. I genuinely did consider Aarav my friend and friends don't do this to each other. Yes, I was wrong on some parts not telling him before but I didn't deceive him. Nor ever lied about my feelings.

Hurt flashed across his eyes.

'No no no no, I did like you Antara. And I would never do anything to hurt you..' He said, stepping closer to me and holding my hands in his.

'But you would do everything to hurt your brother.' I completed his sentence. Silence. It was his chance to become silent.

'Leave it' I said.

I was done. I took out my hands from his and started moving towards the door. There was nothing more left to talk.

'Stop' Aarav's voice resounded.