Chapter 30

The next day I found myself at the police station with Aarav's lawyers. I decided I don't care if Aarav had planned the attack but I did not want to be in the middle of the games that these brothers played. More importantly, for at least once I did not want Ayaan to win. I did not want him to play me and win at getting what he wants.

So, last night I talked to dada again and made him pull some strings with Aarav's dad to set the next bail hearing in private tomorrow.

I would retract my statement and pull my name from the case which would weaken the case. The case would turn into brother vs brother case who already have a pre-established rivalry and Aarav's lawyers will be easily able to get him off on bail using their usual defence tactics. Once, he is out in eyes from the jail, I am sure with the right amount of influence nobody can put Aarav back in jail. The lawyers can easily drag the case years of years.

I did the formalities of the same and was ready to leave the police station when I spotted a familiar face.

Curiosity got the best of me and I went to him.

"Zaid?" I tapped the shoulder of a man clad in grey suit.

"Princess?" He turned towards me with his usual charming smile.

"Were you in on this?" I asked him directly cutting the bullshit.

"In on what?" He asked maintaining his persona. I almost followed his act but then I remembered lawyers are men who would swear black is white – if they are paid for it.

"You were not in on it. This was your idea." I said in self realisation.

"Antara..this is my job. I get paid for it. I just suggested Ayaan to not let you retract your statement. That's it." He said as a matter of fact.

"I understand. And I am sorry I just ruined your plan by coming here today anyway." I apologised to him but I didn't not mean it one bit. I did not regret retracting my statement.

"It's okay. It's all just part of the game." He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

I gave him a tight lipped smile and turned away.

Believing good in people comes naturally to me. Never in my life I had to give a thought on it. But, the past few months of my life have questioned every fibre of my being. I don't even know what to believe or who to trust anymore. I don't know if I will be able to meet a guy normally in future and think he has no ulterior motive.

My chain of thoughts were broken from a hand on my wrist.

"Antara listen.." Zaid held my wrist turning me towards him. "I won't say I am sorry because I was just doing my job. But I really don't want you to think bad about me. I know your life has been shitty in the previous months. But I don't want to be added in the list of people making it shitty."

"That is one way to put my life." I winced at his words.

"You are sweet and nice. And I would like to make it up to you. Any way possible. Except anything related to the case of course." He continued.

"You are really a lawyer" I said biting my lips to hide my smile. I understood where he came from, doing his job and found it hard to hold a grudge against him. I am committed to my job myself.

"I am." He said smiling.

"So anything, haa?" I should not. I should really not. This was not a good idea.

"Anything" He winked at me suggestively.

I rolled my eyes at him jokingly. There is a high possibility, he is going to deny what I am going to ask of him. I had to try. Curiosity killed the cat. But the cat had nine lives