Chapter 9

9.00 A.M

Footsteps.

I heard distinct footsteps rushing here from there. I heard some noises as I tried to listen what they said. I felt warm, Almost burning. I tried to open my eyes but the blinding lights made me shut them more. I hissed in sleep as I felt a stinging pain in my forehead.

Footsteps.

Their intensity increased and so did the noises. With all the force I had in me, I opened my eyes. It took me a while to adjust to lights and as soon as I did, I was welcomed with unknown faces. This was not my bed, not my place.

I woke up with a jerk only to realize the ache in my body. I winced and a warm and a hand crept up to my back, helping me sit up.

'Antara?'

I turned my face to see Aarav by my side.

'Anatara? Are you alright? What were you doing outside my house like that? Do you know how worried I was.'

'I..I..' I shuttered to bring a word out of my mouth when the memories of yesterday came back to me like a fast forwarded film. I had to tell him.

'I wanted to talk to you' I said.

'Antara are you kidding me? The whole city was on a shut down yesterday. You were hit by a car and you are lying here unconscious since yesterday night. Couldn't you just wait?' His voice dripped concern and disappointment as he bore my eyes into his.

'Aya.. Ayaan Sir is planning something'

'What?'

'I heard him yesterday' and with that I told him whatever I knew and heard yesterday to Aarav.

'I know all of this.'

'You knew?'

'Yes, I got a phone call a few hours ago. We then decided to postpone the release of the film.'

'Aarav thinks only he can play these games. What he doesn't realize it's a two-player game.' He whispered it more to himself than me. I saw his fist clenched and knuckles turning white.

'Does he know you are here?' He asked concerned.

'I don't know. Maybe. I came here straight from office'  I answered

'Don't worry I won't let anything happen to you.' He cupped my cheek speaking softly.

'Why is he doing this to you? You both are brothers.'

I saw him shift uncomfortably as his demeanor changed at the question. I waited for his answer but a knock on the door took the attention.

'Sir, doctor had given these medicines for madam.'

'Give her these. I will be back.' He moved from the bed and started walking towards the door.

'You didn't answer my question.' I spoke.

He turned to look at me and then answered. 'Sometimes it's better to leave some questions unanswered Antara. The less you know, the better is for you.'

With that he left, creating a thousand puzzles in my mind.

2.18 P.M

I felt my head throb as I entered my apartment. It was warm and cozy but nothing like my home in Chandigarh. There is something about homes that give you a feeling of warmth or maybe it is the people who lived in it. Everything had happened so fast yesterday, I still could wrap my head around it.

It was still afternoon when I left Aarav's mansion. He had gone away to handle the situation and I left a thank-you note for me despite his servants's persistence. I felt awkward being there alone. I was glad today was an off for everybody at office due to flooded conditions of Mumbai roads. Most of the people including me had availed the leave. I was glad, I did not have to face Ayaan today. I shuddered to think what he would do to me if he gets to know what I have done. But I was content I had done the right thing.