43/soccer fields

chapter 43: soccer fields
blake ren

"I really had a great time, Mr. Sullivan. Thank you," I told him while he held the door open for me. We walked out in front of the wickedly fancy restaurant he chose for lunch and I fitted my arms around myself so it wasn't obvious how much I was shivering from the cold.

"The pleasure was all mine, Blake. I'm sure you'll be hearing from the firm soon. I think you'd be perfect for the internship." I tried to not look too hopeful as he spoke. I felt like I had been struggling to act professionally all afternoon, but hearing this news filled me with excitement.

"I'm looking forward to working with you, Mr. Sullivan!" I grinned. Mr. Sullivan had been dressed in a gray coat and slacks, his cropped blond hair gelled lightly. His watch flashed as he reached his hand out. For a split moment, I thought he was going to hug me. The smile on his face faltered just a hair, and he settled on patting my shoulder.

        "So, is your..mother..picking you up?" he asked. His touch was oddly comforting, but he was soon pulling away. Mr. Sullivan spoke to the valet and sent the twenty-year old running off towards the parking lot of cars.

        "My mother?" I echoed, tilting my head.

        He opened his mouth, but quickly closed it before whatever he was going to say escaped. He tore his eyes off me and rubbed at his mouth, breaking out into a smile. "I suppose you're too old to need your mom to drive you around."

"Um," I started awkwardly. I checked my phone to see a text from Lucas saying he was five minutes away. "My friend was going to come get me."

       "Good, okay. I'll wait with you here until she comes."

        I looked at him and then turned my gaze elsewhere, shielding the confused scrunch of my eyebrows from his view. I didn't see the point in telling him my friend was a he. I'd save my breath with this one.

"I know we talked about you tutoring Kyle, are you tutoring anyone else in calculus?" I faced him again, jittering slightly to keep warm.

"I haven't had anyone reach out. But I wouldn't mind taking on other students who needed help. I'm not entirely sure anyone would be up for asking me, though. Kyle was a rare case," I joked. He didn't look like he was following what I was hinting at.

"Kyle must've told you that I don't have the best track record, right?" My eyebrows shot up and I began backpedaling. "But if you don't know and that interferes with my chances at this internship then please forget I said anything. I promise I'm fit for that position at your firm."

"If you're referring to your criminal record, then yes. I am well aware of what trouble you've gotten yourself into, Blake." He turned to face the road, almost a little teasing with his words despite the calm expression he wore.

"Oh," I replied. The blood drained from my face.

"I still think you're right for the internship. No need to faint," he reassured with a charming smile.

The valet swung by with Mr. Sullivan's Jaguar. Now that was an expensive car. I couldn't even help the low whistle sound I made. Mr. Sullivan looked at me knowingly, pressing his lips together and raising his brows.

"We can escape the cold and sit while we wait on your friend if you'd like?" he offered. I waved him off with a scoff. I laughed and shook my head, shrugging my shoulders a little bit as if to say: No, I couldn't possibly.

"You really mean it?" I asked, just making sure he wasn't being polite and expecting me to in return politely decline. He gestured with his head for me to get in and rounded the car, slapping a twenty in the valet boy's hands as he patted him on the shoulder gratefully.