05/rejecting jolly ranchers

ch5: rejecting jolly ranchers
blake ren

The night sky had stretched far and wide, an obsidian curtain of profound darkness. Stars glittered from millions of light years away while the luminous moon planted its hearty self in the middle of it all. I'm sure it looked beautiful to those driving along the bridge overhead.

    Our view down below was much different. We saw the cold heavy structure of an old dirty bridge, with vulgar and obscene graffiti designs sprayed in bright clashing colors. I don't even know how they got it all the way up there. There was smoke and the smell of alcohol singeing our nostril hairs as well as the puke in the bushes, curtesy of some burn out from Forest Lake High School.

       "At this point I've already told that fat fuckin Joey Bag 'O' Donuts cop that if he wants me to stop he's gotta fuckin get in line." I ran my tongue over my teeth, half listening to some New Jersey boy that moved here last year recall the time he got chased by these dudes after making a pass at one of their girlfriends.

    "Get to the part with the swimming pool." His friend nudged him, Riley was cuddled up in his lap. The people listening to Antony had huge stupid grins on their faces like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

    "Hey shut up, man. I'm gettin there." His thick accent was the only reason why I was even over here. And because he looked like the Karate Kid.

    "So I'm sprinting through yard after yard, with the cop piece of shit hot on my ass, and the college fuckers not far behind, when I feel a bite on my ass. I was getting chased by a fucking Rottweiler now." He continued his in depth story that was beginning to feel like he just really wanted us to know he was cool enough to say the F word as many times as he wanted.

    I sucked my teeth distractedly, and pulled myself up to my feet to leave the drunk circle of friends Riley had made.

      "What am I boring you, princess?" His story had stopped. I turned and angled my head down at him. I let my eyes wander carelessly like I was thinking before giving him a curt nod.

"Yeah." I answered in a clipped tone. He narrowed his gaze at me, or more specifically, my boobs. Classy Jersey boys.

     "So then picking fights and running from the cops must be something you do a lot?" He asked, challenging me. I could see it hovering in the cockiness on his face. It was in his voice. He wanted me to look stupid after I embarrassed him.

      "It was in middle school. I've graduated to more impressive things." I had a bittersweet taste in my mouth from my gum and I cracked a bubble. Antony leaned back on his hands, watching me. "Oh, please. Don't let me interrupt. Finish your story. It was cute from what I actually paid attention to."

    His tongue swiped out across his bottom lip as he let his eyes rake over me. "Hey finish the story Ant, don't let this chick get to you."

    "Yeah, get on with the story, man. Tell us about the part where you lit a firecracker up that dude's ass." Riley's side piece piped up, nudging him again. My friend rolled her eyes. I turned back around and began to walk away.

      "Nah I wanna hear what real fun sounds like from little miss bubble gum bitch, yeah?" Him and that stupid freaking accent. I spun around on my heel with an accusatory cocked brow and crossed my arms.