18/blood moon

ch18: blood moon
blake ren

        I started off the day with a headache.

Actually I started off the day at 3 in the morning scrubbing a red blood stain out of my sheets with cramps that made it seem very enjoyable to strangle somebody, but I say the day starts when the sun comes up and so at 7:06 AM I woke up with a migraine.

Oh the joys of having a uterus. Sexist little monsters, no more like viruses, using us as hosts and raining down hell upon our bodies when we don't put a bun in the oven on time. I can feel it laughing at me as I double over in pain. Whatever. I'll be the one laughing when I steal some rich man's fortune and get the doctors to rip out every last tube and sack for reproduction.

But if I remember anything from Sex Ed it was that to prevent some sort of cancer in some sort of sex organ you got to wait to get a hysterectomy until you're like frail and dying and gross. So like your forties.

In the meantime, I will still loathe my period with an unwavering passion.

"Um, you missed the turn to McDonald's," a timid voice piped up. In my head this would be the moment I turned to Amin and I'd have snakes for hair and short pointy fangs for teeth and I'd turn him to stone.

I may not be Medusa but I still had the same effect on him when I turned around and scarily gnashed my teeth at him. He and his siblings sat rigid in their seats the rest of the way to school.

"Go get breakfast from the cafeteria," Riley droned miserably to them as they got out of the car. She waved around a five dollar bill out the window and it was plucked out of her hand by a grinning Amin. Bella came up to the window with a concerned frown.

"I have Advil," she offered. Riley raised her head out of her hands with a look of interest on her face. Did I mention we synced?

"I'm listening."

Bella dumped two into her sister's hands and asked me if I wanted any.

I almost wanted to cry. She was so sweet. So angelic. She may be a prudish nerd but she was a little sweetheart.

"Advil messes my stomach up. But thank you sweet child." Tylenol was fine but I tried to stay away from Advil.

"Okay. Hope you feel better," she said with sympathetic eyes. I blew her a kiss and with that she turned and walked the path towards the middle school building.

We drove to our school next because Easton was grounded after our special trip to the police station and was being driven to and from school by his mom for the next two weeks.

"I'm gonna go cry in the bathroom," Riley said to me as we walked through the main doors. I nodded and told her to do what she needs to do.

We separated off and I zombie walked my way down the crowded halls towards my locker to grab my things for first period. No pun intended. I opened it up and stared inside for a few minutes, only remembering that I was a real human being out in public doing human things when another body accidentally slammed into mine and thrashed my locked door loudly against the others. It just added to the noisy commotion of the early morning rush around us though and no one noticed.

"Hey fuckface! Watch where you're going!" I yelled out at their retreating back.

If they heard me, they chose to ignore it. Maybe if I hadn't felt like Gollum was currently possessing me then I would've just rolled my eyes and thrown up the middle finger at their back and moved on, but red hot anger violently coursed through my veins and next thing I knew I was chucking my first period—pun still not intended—notebook at their big ass head.