02/smiley fries

ch2: smiley fries
blake ren

   "He's back?!" Riley screeched. I had just finished telling her and Easton about my encounter in the hallway.

     "That's why everyone has been acting so weird? How did they know before we did?" Easton said while our fourth period teacher wrote on the board. I shrugged and hiked my feet up onto the table. This class was set up differently, with groups of circular tables rather than rows of desks. There was an empty chair at our table but no one was brave enough to sit with us.

     "How did he even get out? I thought they were still ruling whether he should be tried as an adult. He set a freaking car on fire. If I was the county I'd have sent his ass to jail. Like, big boy jail."

     "I don't know! Can we stop talking about him?!"

        A knowing look passed between Easton and Riley. I dropped my head back, reaching up to cover my eyes as a strangled cry left my throat. "He's so annoying! I wish I could just-that I could just."

     "Fuck his brains out." A voice said next to my ear and I screamed. Riley was dying laughing in her chair, almost falling out of it. I heard the teacher tell us to shut up and my friend's shoulders still shook with silent laughter.

        Before I could tell her she was wrong and that I was thinking about a more violent alternative, Easton was widely wagging his finger at me. "Don't fucking act like she's lying. God knows we all do."

     "I'm not saying he isn't cute, but even a face like that can't make up for his shit personality," I said, throwing out my best shot at reasoning with them.

     "But his abs can," Easton sang. Riley nodded her head in agreement, pretending to lick the air like he was shirtless and standing in front of her. I scoffed loudly and rolled my eyes.

        I think they might be lost causes. Though I have to admit he's definitely filled out in all the right places. I imagine he spent the last six months working out in a fenced in prison court yard with other sexy delinquents.

     "Him and his two for one penis can stay on the other side of the room where they belong." We already got allergies going around, we don't need Gonorrhea ping pong balling around the school too.

        Easton let out a loud cackle at 'two for one penis' and the teacher made a shushing noise. Everyone else was talking too, but we were the ones who received the attitude. It's not like we had really started learning yet. He was just going over the syllabus. I don't understand why he needed our undivided attention for him to tell us that homework was worth 10% of our grade.

        Lunch was after this class for all of us, so we were pretty much in that mind set. Nobody had time to learn about health and how our bodies function when there was the siren call of food gracing our ears. I've been thinking about those smiley french fries for the past three months. And they were downstairs in the cafeteria just calling my name.

///

     "A couple more." I nodded to the lunch lady. She picked up two extra greasy smiley fries and crashed them onto my tray. "Thanks, Francis."

     Her lips pulled back in a sneer and she shoved the tray towards me. I went to the next lunch lady to check out my food, earning a disapproving glance at my pile of fries. I reached for an apple and dropped it onto the plastic bluish grey tray. "Happy?"