07/a party at penny truman's

ch7: a party at penny truman's
blake ren

        "I still think we should go," commented Riley as she scrolled through her phone, her Juul between her fingers as the sun began to set behind her.

I lolled my head back to look up at the sky quietly and tucked my legs up into my chest in the fold up camping chair that used to belong to Easton's family. His dad was really big on camping and he would drag Easton and his sister (formally a brother at the time of the scene) on these Naked and Afraid level excursions whenever he was back home but when he lost his leg and Jamie had already moved out by then, it was just never brought up so they haven't gone in almost five years.

It was sad and I knew Easton did enjoy those camping trips even if he never really verbally expressed it. But he claims it's better if we use them or else they'd stay old and stiff in his garage until the end of time. They made good use on the roof of Riley's apartment building. We sort of took it over with the chairs and blow up mattresses, old Christmas lights and thick blankets that only get used during the night. Her landlord tried kicking us out but after the third time of coming back she gave up and it became ours to use.

"I'm not gonna lie, I did kind of want to go..." Easton trailed off and my body weight sunk deeper into the polyester fabric of the chair.

        "You guys can go. My liver is the one asking for the break so I'll pass." I can make myself something easy for dinner and watch Kill Bill. Vince and my mom were gone for the weekend again, I didn't know where they ended up, usually some dingy shithole town with casinos and one time customers for low life Vince and his narcotics.

        "Please, you have a liver of steel," Easton said, his dark eyes rolling into the back of his head. Riley agreed, handing him the small grey vape.

        "Are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with a certain Lucas Kingston?" she asked coyly.

        I scoffed and stared at them like they were out of their minds but Easton raised an eyebrow at me and then I was sitting back in the chair in defeat. "Yes, it does. This party is basically being thrown in his honor and I'm sorry I don't want to witness Lucas's head popping like a balloon when it grows three sizes from all the attention."

        "Really? I'd think you'd want to be there for that." Easton said and I sent him a look. 

        "Easton shut up. You only want to go because Reese is going to be there." Riley gushed teasingly, making me open my mouth in thrilled shock.

        "Well why didn't you say that from the beginning? Now I have to go. I need to go. You have to introduce him to us." Easton looked horrified at the thought while Riley joyfully badgered him about his crush.

        "It's not even a big deal," he said but the nervous knuckle cracking he was doing said otherwise.

        "Oh my god, does he make you nervous?!" I squealed. Easton looked liked he wanted to be swallowed up by the ground.

        "Oh my god, he does!" concluded Riley.

        "We're not talking about this anymore," Easton said and Riley and I knowingly sympathized with teasing smiles on our faces, continuing to poke fun at our poor friend.

"Shit do we need to go find a pink dress now?" Riley asked. I waved my hand dismissively.

"That's just what Lucas would want me to do."