32/flash photography

chapter 32: flash photography
blake ren

        The screaming in the stands made my heels dig further into the dirt, a soft whine coming out of my mouth. Violet groaned and then laughed with a death grip on my arm. "Violet, no. I refuse. You can't make me."

        "You have to. This is for a grade, bitch." She pulled me along with her past the chainlink fence, towards the bright lights of the football stadium, her camera in her free hand and my heart sinking into my stomach. I continued my temper tantrum for as long as I could, but the crazy bitch wouldn't budge.

        "This is so unfair, you know I don't like football games. And it's so cold," I begged and cried and kicked and scratched. Well maybe not kicked and scratched, but whatever.  I still tried to lunge for freedom when Violet's hold on me lightened. My efforts proved to be futile because she didn't let me get far before I was stuck to her side again. "I'm so weak, I feel lightheaded. I need to lie down. You go on without me, Vi."

        "What if," she began, inviting me to halt my in-process escape plan. "I bought you a cup of hot chocolate from the concession stand? Would you promise to take a couple photos?"

        I thought about it. It was kinda cold. I was probably going to have agreed sooner or later, regardless of this sudden offer. So free hot chocolate? And include the mini bourbon bottle I have stuffed in my bra? Maybe tonight wouldn't have to be so bad after all. I could make this work. Yeah. I could make this work.

        "Well?" she asked, her voice light and hopeful.

        "Fine!" I caved, my mouth curling into a smile. Violet beamed victoriously and we went to concessions where we bought two hot chocolates. I wrapped my numb fingers around the hot paper cup and took the first sip. Violet gasped and told me to be careful of how hot it was. I wasn't going to tell her that I burnt the fuck out of my tongue. I was stronger, and more stubborn than that. "It's yummy."

Violet took the cap off of hers and blew on the piping hot drink before taking a tiny sip. "Mmm, that's perfect."

"No, what will make it perfect is some of this." I pulled the mini liquor out of my bra, flashing a devious grin at Violet when her eyes lit up in surprise. "Want some?"

"Uh, duh." I sneaked some in her cup and then poured some in mine, making sure no one else saw us. It didn't matter, everyone else was always pregaming at these things anyway so it's not like it was that scandalous. But I was probably breaking a few rules by having it on my person, that was maybe a little naughty of me.

We got into the stadium and walked down below the bleachers until we found Penelope with the rest of the cheer team, their pompoms at the ready. She was waving one up at the people of the stands, the enthusiasm in her appearance feeling fake and forced. I doubt anyone else picked up on it, it was just after crashing her public bathroom cry session that I knew she wasn't as perfect as she seemed.

When she noticed us the expression fell away into one of annoyance and her hawk eyes quickly zeroed in on our hands. "Is that the only camera you brought? What, it takes the both of you to operate the same one?"

"Worry less about me and more about the lipstick on your teeth, okay? My boyfriend's bringing my Olympus 35 millimeter film camera. Just keep your pants on. It's under control." Violet's personality took a 180 and suddenly she was close to biting off the girl's head.

        Of course Penny didn't actually have lipstick on her teeth, like as if her image-obsessed groupies would let her have so much as a speck of fallen mascara under her eyes, let alone any slathering of Ruby Woo on her pearly whites. Still, Penny subtly ran her tongue over her teeth while staring unimpressed at us.