40/nosebleeds

chapter 40: nosebleeds
blake ren

"Shouldn't you be helping?" A voice snapped at me.

I peeled my eye open and saw Dani Samuels, AKA Penny Truman's best friend, AKA Devil Spawn #2. She was cleaning off the whiteboard in Coach Myers's classroom, glaring down at me because I was taking a nap. At least trying to—her annoying voice made it difficult.

I shut my eye and shifted a bit to face away from her in the swivel chair I had claimed at the beginning of detention.

She hummed in question, still waiting on an answer. I knew today was going to be a challenge the second I saw her leaning on top of a desk with an icy scowl on her pretty model-esque face. It was a face her parents paid for, but it did turn out nice at least. In middle school, she got hit in the face with a baseball at recess so her parents fixed the damage the summer before high school started. Two summers later and they got her a new chest to go with it.

I heard her designer heels clicking on the floor as she came around the side I was facing. She clapped her hands near my head and it made every bone in my body stiffen with quiet rage. I opened my eyes to see her peering down at me. A few thoughts passed through my head. One of them being:

Was I going to have to beat the shit out of her?

        "Get up and help, The Craft." Points for creativity.

I stared at her for a long time, quizzically. And then my eyes narrowed some as I studied her face, seeing something I hadn't seen before.

"Your eyes are slightly too far apart. Did you know that?" I asked, propping my cheek up with my hand as I leaned against the back of the chair. I swiveled gently from side to side, still staring at her in thought.

"Y-you—" she stammered. I barely lifted the corner of my mouth as she tried to find a witty comeback.

"Don't hurt yourself," I told her. I kicked my feet up on the desk and got out my phone when I felt it buzz.

She laughed harshly. "Is that a flip phone?"

"Dani." I turned to her with very little patience in my eyes. "Talk to me again and I will shove this flip phone so far up your ass the next time you speak my ringtone will play out of your mouth."

She pulled her lips back in disgust, dipping her brows up as she creased them together. "Ew, weirdo."

I raised my brows at her and held my hand in a fist, gradually working the phone through my hand to give her a mental image of my threat while she walked away from me. Bitch.

I turned back to my phone and looked at the text I had gotten. I placed my hand over my mouth and made sure no one could see my face as I smiled giddily to myself.

[Lucas]
u need a
ride, troublemaker?

I ran my teeth over my bottom lip, and stopped to look away from the phone and put my fist to my mouth again, blocking the smile on my face. I started typing on my keyboard to respond.

[Blake]
yes

[Lucas]
good cause i was
going to give u
one anyway

[Blake]
shouldn't u be
dribbling a ball
or something

[Lucas]
yea but i can always
make time for you