41/reaching out

chapter 41: reaching out
blake ren

"Oh I'm fine. How are you?" I laughed awkwardly.

"Don't start with me right now!" she hissed. "I don't know who the hell you think you are getting in my business. And don't you dare say it didn't have shit to do with me because if you remember I was still on the phone with her, genius!"

My mouth curdled as I sent Lucas a scared look. Her voice was loud enough through the phone that he knew what she was saying and wore an equally freaked out face. I swallowed, my throat dry and scratchy. I coughed once to clear it so I wouldn't sound weird when I mustered enough brain power to respond.

"A—"

"I don't wanna hear it. I'm outside your apartment. And it won't matter if you try to evade me I will stay here all night, Blake." I heard the determination in her voice and gulped. I put my hand over the mic and whisper yelled at Lucas, telling him to start driving to his house.

He looked at me confused and I pleaded at him with my eyes before resuming my phone call.

"I'll just never return. It's not like there's anything I actually need in that god-forsaken—" I held a hand to my mouth as I gasped. "My boots."

"Ew, the saggy ones?"

"The saggy ones? Are you fucking with me? What would make you think I give a shit about those? I'm talking about the tall ones. With like the really high heel." I rolled my eyes. The saggy ones. Give me a frickin' break.

"Oh," she said as in agreement that those were better.

I shook my head with another weary eye-roll.

"Well now that I know you can't escape me," she started, "I'll be here waiting."

"You don't know my apartment number."

"3B? Blake, don't underestimate me. It won't do you any good." A pit formed in my stomach. She knew where I lived. She saw the dump I had to call a home. If Vince saw her and all her designer clothes he'd chase her off with a baseball bat. Most days he wasn't home until the evening, but I knew with my luck he'd be there right now. Insert strained smile here.

        "Fine. Okay fine!" I blew out an exasperated breath as I held my hand to my forehead. Maybe I fucked up getting involved. I internally groaned. "We're stopping at a drive-thru though. No buts. If you're going to bitch me out it's going to be while I stuff my face."

        "Whatever," she grounded out. "Just get here."

        She clicked the call off.

        I put my phone down in the cup holder, not looking at Lucas when I felt his eyes flit my way. I sighed. "Step on the gas."

        I started unbuckling and held down the window button so I could climb out while Lucas propelled the car at a high speed. I got my head out but then he was intervening.

        "Yeah, thats not happening." He was quick to snatch me by the back of my jacket and stop me from moving any further. I whined annoyingly and tried to resist. Dying a gruesome death was better than dealing with Penny. Not by a lot, but definitely some I would think.

        He yanked me back in and rolled my window up from his side before putting the child lock on. I buckled again while throwing him my meanest glare, but he didn't seem the slightest bit worried that I would actually go through with it, in fact it was like he anticipated I'd pull an act like that.