Chapter 12: Ooh, Burn

Blaze:

I got to class soon after watching Jennifer leave with Fletcher, unable to do anything but stand there.

"Well, Blaze, you're a bit late to see your friends," Mz. Archer could have cackled and I wouldn't have been surprised.

"Nah, I didn't miss them," I told her, moving towards my seat. All the heads in the classroom looked back and forth between Mz. Archer and I, watching our exchange with interest.

"Would you like to see them again?" She asked, her glare growing darker.

"Not right now, but yeah," I said, knowing where this was going.

"Well, I guess you'll have plenty of time in detention."

"Oh, but they won't be in detention. Except maybe Fletcher, he's a special case," I said confidently.

Mz. Archer rose her eyebrows. "Okay." Was all she said.

~~~~~

Jennifer:

I got to art class, and immediately went over to Luke and Brianna.

"Hey, gurl!" Brianna called.

"Hey, Brianna. Luke," I said, nodding at them. "So, what's been going on lately?"

Luke grinned. "Our first football game is next Friday. You gonna be there?"

"Duh!" I smiled. "Wouldn't miss the first game for anything."

"Eh ehm, hello, there's another person here," Brianna coughed.

"What?" Luke asked, and I wondered too. "We weren't doing anything."

Brianna rolled her eyes. "I see the way you two look at each other."

What.

I looked to Luke for explanation, but he was as confused as me.

"There you go again!" Brianna cried.

Luke and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. "Drama queen," I gasped.

"What's going on?" Blaze's voice asked. Our heads whipped around and we shut up. Brianna though, immediately jumped into chatter mode.

"Oh, not much, did you know that the first football game is next week? We're all going, and Jennifer too, you should come."

Blaze looked at me for confirmation.

"Yeah, you should. It'd be fun," I said, pasting on a smile. What was wrong with me?

"Uh. Okay," Blaze said, sitting.

"It's a home game. Against Westfield," Luke informed him. Blaze shrugged like he didn't really care, and I held back a smile.

"We should, like, go do something this weekend," Brianna said, popping her gum. Luke stared hard at Blaze, challenging him.

Blaze looked from him to me and sighed. "I don't know, maybe."

"Great!" Brianna chirped. "So you'll come! Jennifer will text you to tell you what we're gonna do and when."

"I am?" I asked.

"She is?" Luke asked.

"Yeah, don't tell me you don't have Blaze's number," she said, looking at me knowingly.

I sighed. "Yeah, fine."

Luke looked up at Blaze and shook his head slightly.

The rest of class passed pretty uneventfully, to my relief.