Chapter 3: Back Row Seats

"It was nice of you to finally join us, Miss..." The teacher, a sixty year old looking woman snapped.

I sighed. I already could tell that this class was gonna suck. "Jennifer. Jennifer Kelly."

"Why are you so late? Look at the clock. It's halfway through class," She scolded.

"Better late than never?" I offered. There were a few muffled giggles from my class.

"Stop that smart mouth, Jennifer. You have one detention for being so late. Don't make me give you one for tomorrow, too," The teacher practically growled.

"Yeah, whatever. What's your name again?" I asked.

"Mz. I'm-giving-you-another-detention-Archer," She frowned. Not married. Figures. Wow, I really got off on her bad side.

"Right," I shrugged it off. What's high school without detention, anyways? I walked over to the back of the classroom and pulled out a chair next to some guy with tousled black hair and blue eyes. It was the only seat left in the class, except for a front row seat by Mz. Archer's desk, and no way was I sitting there.

"That seat's taken," the guy growled at me.

"Oh, really, I didn't see anyone there, oh wait." I reached out and patted an invisible person's head. "Sorry, didn't see you there." I rolled my eyes, sitting down. The guy glared at me.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" He growled.

I answered sweetly, with a fake ass smile on my face. "I'm Jennifer Kelly, call me Jennifer. Or whatever. Who the fuck do you think you are?" I echoed.

"Someone who doesn't want to deal with the likes of you, also known as Fletcher Stone." He turned and stared at the wall.

I shrugged and looked to the front. What class was this anyways? I looked at my schedule again. History. Mz. Archer walked around, and I scribbled nonsense down so she would think I had been listening. God, this is so much easier later in the year, when you can just reuse old notes to fake it.

The bell rang, saving me. Yet another cliche, saved by the bell. I shoved my books into a stack and turned to leave.

"Hey, wait." Fletcher called, his deep voice close behind. "Don't sit there next class, my friend's sitting in that seat, he just skipped today. Okay? You don't want to have to deal with him."

I smiled. "Yeah, sure. Hopefully he'll actually be visible next time. What's this friend's name?"

He paused. "Blaze. Blaze Schmidt. You know who I'm talking about?"

"Yeah, yeah I do. It won't be a problem," I nodded, laughing to myself. If only he knew how much I'd have to "deal with" Blaze.

The rest of the day dragged by, at lunch I sat with CJ and a few others of my friends, I had two classes after that, then finally school was over. The first day, at least. But I had detention afterwards.

Plopping my books loudly down on a desk in the detention room, I sighed loudly. Blaze wasn't here yet. Fletcher swung through the door, reaching up a little, grabbing the door frame, and swinging. I just rolled my eyes at him.

"Forgot you'd be here," he snorted. I glared at him.

"You know, if you weren't such a jerk, you'd be attractive," I retorted. His eyes widened a little, but he covered it with a smirk.

"So you think I'm attractive," He stated, winking at me.

"Who thinks who's attractive?" Another voice asked. Blaze. Oh shit. He wasn't supposed to hear that.