Chapter 11: Et Cetera

It turned out that Blaze was only going to his seat behind me because class was starting. I sighed gently in relief, and Charlotte pushed me down into my seat.

"Wha-" I whisper-yelled at her.

"Talk to him!" She hissed, looking at me pointedly.

I turned around, slowly, and hesitated. "Hi, Blaze," I said, smiling weakly.

"Hi," He said, looking a little surprised. It was like the first day all over again.

I scrambled for something to talk about. "Uh, did I tell you about Charlotte's amazing pancakes she tried to make this weekend?"

Charlotte facepalmed hard and turned away from me, scoffing.

Blaze shook his head. "No," He said, then added, probably to himself. "You haven't told me much of anything in a while."

I pretended I hadn't heard and continued. "Well, I was pretty sure that Charlotte was a good cook, so I tried to eat one of the pancakes, but those things were rubber."

Charlotte felt my plea for help staring through her back and turned, laughing a little. "Those things bounced. No joke."

Blaze laughed. "I've gotta see one of these pancakes."

Charlotte grinned. "No problemo. I've got tons of 'em stacked up in the fridge."

Class started then, and I turned back around, thanking Charlotte with my eyes. She only nodded, flipping her math book open.

The bell eventually rang, and I stood up, shoving my books into a stack and leaving quickly, but not too fast to see Charlotte start chatting with Blaze. She could be quiet, but she had her moments, and I was glad that this was one of them.

~~~~~

Blaze:

Charlotte came over to me right after the bell and started talking.

"Hey, Blaze, do you have the answers to the Spanish homework? I didn't get it and I was hoping you did and by the way did you get a haircut?" She rushed, biting her lip and smiling like she was holding in a laugh.

"What?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. Did she like me? Was that what all the whispering before class had been about?

"You know, I think we should go out in the hall, the teacher is giving us a weird stare, but don't look now, then she'll think we're talking about her, no just come on we have to go," She said, talking fast, and finally grabbing my elbow and pulling me out the door.

"Uh, yeah, about that, I should go," I said, pulling away.

Charlotte's face fell and she dropped her hand limply, offering only a quiet protest. "Sorry. I just didn't know how to bring it up," She said, turning away slowly.

"Wait." I said, "Bring what up?"

Charlotte shifted from foot to foot, seeming to get increasingly nervous as time passed. Oh no. She wasn't going to ask me out, was she? "Um. Jennifer," She finally said.

"Yeah. What about her?" I asked, relieved.

"Do you- do you like her?" Charlotte asked, still hesitant. Man, that girl had some serious nervous habits.

I pressed my mouth into a line and turned away. "Why would I tell you?" I growled, glaring at the wall.

Charlotte sighed. "Okay. Well, you should talk to her."

"Don't fucking tell me what to do," I spun back around, still glaring.

Charlotte put her hands up in surrender. "Fine! Don't! But don't friggin come crying to me later."