Chapter 15: A Potato Flew Around My Room

The place was already crowded, and I lost track of my mission for an hour or so, dancing and laughing with friends that had come, too.

I didn't drink, remembering what had happened the last time. I shuddered slightly. No need for that to happen again. Ever again.

After a while, I remembered about Jason. After a good half hour of pushing through people, I found him, handing out drinks to girls and teasing some guy Aiden, who was so drunk he could hardly stand.

"A potato flew around my room before you came..." Aiden sang in a high pitched voice, so different from his normally deep one, doing a pretty bad version of the vine. He looked around wildly, and one of Jason's friends, Carson, ducked into the kitchen for a second, then came back, proudly handing a potato to Aiden, who went on with his singing, now spinning with the potato held high above his head. Jason and his friends laughed and pulled out their phones, and I laughed, too, which made them turn to me.

"Heyy, Jennifer!" Jason called. "What up, girl?"

We were kind friends. The 'kinda' that you get from being part of the popular group, but not necessarily hanging out a lot.

"Hey," I smiled, lifting my hand in a little wave to Jason's friends, then turning to him. "Listen, I gotta talk to you." I glanced around quickly. "Alone."

"Say no more," Jason grinned, touching my arm and leading me to the kitchen, which was surprisingly empty.

"Well, okay, um, you see, somebody likes you, and..." I trailed off, looking up at him, hoping he'd understand.

He stepped closer to me and put his arm around my shoulders. "You shoulda told me before," he said, his words slurring a little.

Oh. that explained the touchy stuff. "I didn't know how to bring it up," I told him, shrugging.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," He said gently, pulling me around to face him. "Now's as good a time as any."

I shifted uncomfortably. "Wha-" I started, only to see him lean in, his arm wrapping around my waist. No. This was not happening. I panicked, doing the first thing I could think of.

"I have a boyfriend," I said quickly, pushing him away. As much as he might try to act different, Jason was a good guy. Besides, he was drunk.

He stepped away in a second. "Oh," He said, an apologetic look in his eyes. "Wait, who?"

A head appeared in the doorway, interrupting my scramble for a name. "Any water? Some dude passed out," The guy said, pausing when he saw us.

"Fletcher." I blurted, pulling him through the door.

"Fletcher?" Jason asked, confused.

"What?" Fletcher said, looking down at my hand that was still holding his shirt. I blushed and let go.

"Fletcher, tell Jason you're my boyfriend," I said, eyeing Jason to see if he believed it.

Fletcher raised his eyebrows. "Say please," He smirked, resting his elbow on my shoulder.

"Please," I begged, and he must have heard the desperation in my voice.

Fletcher sling his arm around my shoulders, pulling me tight against his side. "Yep, I'm Jennifer's boyfriend," He agreed, staring Jason down.

"Okay, okay, man, sorry!" Jason said. He looked at me. "What about the stuff you said, though?"

I groaned. "I was talking about Callie. Callie likes you."

Jason's head snapped up. "Wait, cheerleader Callie that invited me to her Halloween party sophomore year?"

I rolled my eyes. "You remember that? And she invited all the sophomores. But yeah, that Callie. The only Callie in our school."

Jason grinned. "I gotta go talk to her, okay? See you later. Don't break anything," He added, looking suspiciously between Fletcher and I.

"You got it," I said, laughing. "Now go."

He left hurriedly, and I grinned, watching him stagger, then right himself.

"Boyfriend, huh?" Fletcher asked.

I blushed, sliding out from under his arm. "I panicked, okay? He was trying to kiss me and I told Callie I'd talk to him for her, and that totally breaks all the principles of being a girl, you know?" He shook his head and I continued. "So I just told him I had a boyfriend, cuz even when he's drunk, he's honest, and then he asked who and you walked in and I-" I stopped for a second. "Thanks for going along with it."

"Oh," Fletcher said slowly. "Yeah. Sure."

"Wanna spy on Callie?" I asked excitedly.

"Not really," Fletcher admitted. I shrugged. "We could dance."

I eyed him warily. "What kind of dancing?"

Fletcher sighed exasperatedly. "I'm not a bad boy," he said with the utmost seriousness.

My head snapped up to him. "Not you too!" I protested, but he had started laughing. I sighed in relief. "Jerk," I muttered.

"I prefer the term badass," Fletcher informed me, smirking. He frowned. "Or something along those lines. Badass doesn't really fit."

I laughed. "Again, what kind of dancing?"

~~~~~

A/N: I guess it was kinda short. Anyways, what did you think? And who do you ship: Jelaze? Jetcetera? Jeson? (Idk) Jaiden? (I'm trying, I swear) Jayon? This is why I leave the ship-naming to other people.

Comment, vote, whatever you like :)