Chapter 13: I Guess Detention is Funny

Three weeks passed, and we were now in the second month of school, which meant classes had been getting harder, with more homework. We still laughed and talked a lot in detention, which Charlotte had become a permanent addition to, but we also spent two or so days a week to use a few minutes for homework, helping each other, even though the guys insisted they'd been fine before. 

CJ made the cheer team, no surprise there, and our friends celebrated with a small party, thankfully not another truth or dare. 

Fletcher and I grew a bit closer, and Blaze was still distant, but we talked a lot more, joking and laughing, and the tension had eased. Well, between us, at least. Charlotte and Blaze were still at each others' throats, which made me laugh so much my own throat hurt. 

"What's the importance of history?" Mz. Archer asked the class, as if she really though there was an answer other than a straight, clear, "no" to that.

"Well, it just so happens that's what you're going to be spending the next three days doing a research paper on. It's due Friday, no exceptions, and I expect them to be perfect."

At which point Fletcher, Blaze, and I burst out laughing, the kind of laugh you do right after you say you're a genius, or even better, that your friend is.

Mz. Archer glared at us, and nearly shouted. "You think this is so funny?" she screeched.

"Kinda," Fletcher and I answered almost in unison. And that only made us start laughing again, louder, harder.

"I guess you think detention is funny too, then," She smirked.

Okay, really?

So yeah, we got a detention. Or should I say earned. And it wasn't just a day. Not one, not two, not three, but a full six days! Gasp! Mz. Archer thought that would scare us, make us at least a little bit sorry. Well, actually, it was only four in the beginning, but we showed no signs of caring, even acted happy, so she must have figured two more would shut us up. Yeah, nope. After that, we were still loud, but I think teachers have a limit on how many detentions they can dish out until the kids actually do something bad.

"Ha, we're covered for the week!" I laughed, walking out after class with the guys. 

"Well, it's Wednesday, so next week we need two more." Blaze pointed out. He was definitely the most technical out of the three of us.

"No problemo!" Fletcher laughed, and we high-fived loudly. A teacher spun around, gasping. 

"Did you just hit him?" She asked me, wide-eyed.

I laughed. "Not across the face."

She shook her head. "I just heard a smack, and then he was... he was laughing, wasn't he?" she guessed. 

"Hey, I'm no wimp, I wouldn't cry if someone bitc- I mean, slapped me," Fletcher protested loudly.

"Okay, okay!" the teacher said, still looking confused. She was young, a new teacher here. "Get a move on."

We laughed as we walked away, mimicking her shocked face. 

"She thought I bitch slapped you!" I laughed.

Art was as usual, with Brianna chattering away in my ear all class, me politely telling her to shut up. Politely might be the wrong word. Luke didn't seem as worried about Blaze anymore, and I had gone to the football games with a few friends to watch him play each time. Hey, it's nice to have your own fan crowd. 

In chemistry, we did a lab, and we ended up with some ice cream we froze with liquid nitrogen. It was supposed to be one of the last warm weeks of fall, so it was pretty nice to have a cold cone of ice cream outside in the hot leftover summer air with the class. I lifted my cone to lick my ice cream, and noticed Blaze get a smirk on his face.