VII.IV

Setting: Demi's House, Calabasas, CA

Demi was not much of a cook and probably never would be, but one of her favorite rooms in the whole house had to be the kitchen

Demi was not much of a cook and probably never would be, but one of her favorite rooms in the whole house had to be the kitchen. It was more of Marcia's than it was hers but that didn't make Demi love it any less. State of the art appliances, a humongous island with a marble countertop imported from Italy and a farmhouse sink, and most importantly, an open view of the entire first floor. From one side of the kitchen she could see the front door, from the middle she could see the living room, and when she leaned against the refrigerator she could see the backyard. It truly was the center of their house so sometimes it was the most chaotic space. Like now.

Muse had a half day at school and to celebrate, she wanted to make Rice Krispie treats with all of her cousins. So somehow, Demi's house had become the meeting place for everyone and the kids were completely destroying her kitchen while trying to make a simple two ingredient recipe. Even Muse, who was usually levelheaded, picked up on the energy and couldn't keep still as Demi tried to help everyone.

"Mommy, can we make some for daddy?" Muse asked as she tried to stir the sticky mess in the bowl.

Muse was perched on the countertop and Demi was supervising. She had given up on watching everyone else's kids when everyone else was there. Well, Kim was there with her kids, and four extra kids in the house felt like an army. Kourtney was on her way but she had to stop to get "gluten free" ingredients. Khloe was with Tristan in Cleveland and Kylie was minding her business, as usual. Demi thought she would be much closer to Kylie since their kids were the same age but somehow, she was closer to Kim now.

"I think he'd like that," Demi said as she went to grab some M&M's out of the pantry, because that's how Cristo liked is.

The only problem was, there was no guarantee that they would see Cristo anytime soon, but Muse wanted to make a treat for her dad and Demi didn't want to crush her spirit.

It had been several weeks since they had received the call about Nicolas's failing healthy. They did stay in Paris for a week but after Nicolas seemed to get better, Cristo sent Muse and Demi home so that Muse could go back to school. Ever since then, Demi had barely been in communication with her husband. If it wasn't for his assistants and Clara, Demi wouldn't even know when he was in the states or not. According to one of his assistants, he was supposed to arrive home tonight but Demi wasn't getting her hopes up. And a part of her was severely wounded because she wanted to be there for her husband, now more than ever, but he wasn't allowing her to. The other part of her was lethally pissed because Cristo was living his life as though he didn't have a family of his own to take care of, and it was negatively impacting their daughter.

"Daddy likes m&m's," Muse said as she took the bag from Demi.

"Yeah, but we have to put them on after we bake it, okay?"

"Okay, mommy? Can I have one please?" Muse politely questioned as she dropped the spoon in the bowl.

"Just one?" Demi checked as Muse eagerly nodded. "Okay just one."