VIII.II

Setting: Cristo and Demi's House, Calabasas, CA

As a mother, Demi really didn't sleep...at least not the way that she used to. She used to be able to sleep through anything: an earthquake, a break in, an airplane ride...but ever since she had Muse she couldn't sleep as peacefully as she used to. She was always checking on her throughout the night to make sure she was okay. That changed a little bit as she got older but Demi still found herself wandering around in the middle of the night to check on her. Now, her sleepless nights could be attributed to the problems in her marriage. But when Demi woke up the morning after her dinner with Cristo, she was surprised at how bright it was outside. Usually Muse woke her up whether it was the weekend or not. And Muse had formed the habit of sneaking into her room in the middle of the night, especially since Demi and Cristo had separated. But today, Demi woke up in her bed alone with the sun beaming down on her.

After shrugging into her robe, she made her way down the hall to Muse's room. Empty. She checked all of the guest rooms except for the one that Kris was sleeping in, and they were empty too. Then she went downstairs, and once she entered Cristo's study, that's where she found them. Cristo and Muse were knocked out on the Cloud sofa that was in the corner of Cristo's office and it was the cutest thing in the world. Demi took a quick picture of the two of them before she knelt next to the couch to wake them up.

"Muse, princess, come on. Let's wake up so you can have breakfast," Demi cooed. Muse was a morning person but she had to wake up first. That was the hardest part.

"Come on, princess. Let's get up," Demi quietly said, picking Muse up in her arms. She didn't know how well Cristo was sleeping at night but he looked so peaceful that she didn't want to wake him up.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, baby?"

"We're going on our walk?" She sleepily mumbled.

"Hmm. You want me to put you down?"

"Yes please."

Demi set Muse on the ground then closed the door to the study after they exited. Every morning since Cristo had moved out, Demi and Muse had started the habit of walking around the house to wake up. Demi didn't know where it came from, but Muse insisted on walking all around outside. She even liked to play in the pool sometimes but that was only if it wasn't too cold outside.

"Why did you and daddy sleep in the study last night?" Demi asked as she opened the door to the backyard.

"I don't know. He was in there," Muse answered, hopping down the concrete steps so that she could get to the grass. "Can we go in the pool?"

"Muse...I have on really nice pajamas today," Demi whined, looking down at the silky pink set that Cristo had gotten her for Christmas.

"Come on, mommy," Muse squealed, suddenly more awake than ever as she skipped over to the pool.