chapter one

Vienna pulled into the car port underneath the home. She rolled her eyes at the house, mostly at the fact that it was hardly ever used. Her family used it more when she was younger. It all stopped when she was about seven, her family stopped coming. She never understood why.

She sighed as she unlocked the front door and took in the scenery of the empty house. It was decorated nicely, her parents always had good taste. She picked up a picture frame that held her family in it and smiled, placing it back on the small table in the foyer.

The house was modest, not too big, not too small. A two story, four bedroom home on the sound side of the island, overlooking the marsh.

Vienna didn't care about the size though, she could be sleeping in a tent and would still be ten times happier than she could ever dream of being back home.

A few hours later she found herself sat on the deck, watching the sun set over the marsh, knowing tomorrow would not be as relaxing of a day. She slowly strummed her guitar and jotted a few lyrics down, although she felt none of them were good. It didn't come easily to her anymore. Not since that night.

"Yo, dude, do you see that?" The brunette boy asked, pointing towards one of the marsh homes.

The blonde continued rolling his joint, "See what, dude? The nice ass kook homes?" he scoffed without lifting his head from his work, "yeah, bro I see them everyday."

The brunette slapped his arm, "JJ look." He said in a more serious tone.

JJ looked up to the abandoned Miles home, to see a girl sat on a top deck strumming her guitar. Sending a smirk towards John B he replied, "pull up to the dock."

"No, JJ, we can't just pull our boat up to a random girls house."
Except, she was only a 'random girl' to JJ. John B knew exactly who she was. And he couldn't lie, he was overjoyed to see her up there.

"Why not? I'm sure she'd be down for the kegger tonight. How would she know if she didn't get a personal invite?" The boy questioned, slapping his friend's chest and smirked, placing the joint between his lips and lighting it.

_____

Vienna's POV

I groaned, frustrated that I couldn't find the words to write this song. Songwriting usually came easily to me, it was the one thing I could always do. But since everything happened, I haven't had the words to express what I was feeling. Songwriting was my escape, but it seemed I couldn't escape this one.

I sighed, putting the pick in between the guitar strings, picking up my lyric journal and began to make my way back inside the home.

"Hey, don't leave yet! You haven't even said hello!" I heard from the water.

"What the fuck?" I muttered to myself before slowly turning back around, to see a boat now docked at the pier, two boys walking toward my house.

I leaned over the railing, looking down onto the lawn where they now stood, "Do I know you?"

"No you see, that's the problem." The blonde one spoke, "everyone knows everyone on this island, how come we don't know you?"

"Maybe I don't want to be known!" I called back down to him.

"Well what are you doing in the Miles house? No one's ever here." He questioned.