chapter twenty two

-not edited-

I continued walking away from the group until I was back on the main road. I followed the road back home, not wanting to be at the chateau with everyone, or wherever else they planned to go tonight.

As soon as I got home, I stripped myself of my dress and got into the shower. I tried to let the warm water wash away the events of the day, but it didn't work.

I did not care to get dressed or even brush my hair. Once I was out of the shower, I simply laid in bed and drifted off to sleep.

____

A bang on the door woke me up, I ignored it, rolling over and trying to drown it out.

Another bang.

I groaned, looking over at the clock.

11:52 pm.

Who is knocking on the door at midnight?

I forced myself out of bed, pulling a robe over my body, and heading down to the door. I open it, sighing.

"Vienna." He says, sounding relieved.

"JJ." I deadpan "What do you want? I'm sleeping."

"We're all going to the Hawks Nest, I want you there." He says, keeping his voice quiet and sincere.

"Is this your way of apologizing?"

"No, V." He shakes his head. "Well, yes? Kind of? I don't know what to do. I feel awful and I know-"

"No, JJ. It's fine. I don't need an apology I just need some time. You guys go without me."

"I don't want to go without you."

I sigh, going to close the door, but JJ stops it with his hand.

"Vienna, please. I'm sorry. I really am. I shouldn't have acted that way at the station, I didn't want you to be around my father. Then when I saw you with Rafe, I just kind of lost it. I hated it. I shouldn't have acted like that I'm sorry." He said, speaking quickly but never breaking eye contact. "And I'm sorry for sleeping with Rose. I didn't know what I was feeling for you and I wanted to distract myself, but as soon as I did it I regretting it. I felt disgusting. I realized then I only want you, Enna. Please forgive me." He finished, eyes watering now.

I've barely looked at JJ the past day. Now that I am, I notice bruising on the left side of his face. Bad, yellow and purple bruises near his eye.

"JJ-" I whisper, touching them gently with my hand. "Who did this."

"My dad."

Now I tear up, and instantly bring him into a hug, rubbing his back. "I forgive you, JJ. It's okay. I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for, Vienna. You didn't know." He comforts. "You didn't know, and you still went out of your way for or me."

"Because I care." I say, pulling back and looking him in the eyes now.

"I care, too."

The tension builds, and our eyes flicker from each other's lips to pupils, neither of us wanting to make the first move.

The horn of the van blares, breaking our moment.

"Sarah's going to be at the nest in 5!" John yells. "We have to go."

I scoff. "I'm not going, JJ." I shake my head. "John owes me and apology as well, but he seems a little preoccupied." I roll my eyes, backing up into the doorway. "You go, I'll be fine here."