chapter twenty three

-not edited-

Once we get to the chateau, only Kie and Pope are there, which I am kind of thankful for. I know he wouldn't react well to JJ and I spending the night together.

"Where's JB at?" JJ questions as we walk into the house, he holds the door open for me and walks in behind me, letting the door close. "Still mackin on Cameron?" JJ says, snickering.

"JJ, not the time for jokes." Kie says, catching us off guard.

"Kie, I know you don't like her. It's just a joke-"

"John B was in the hospital all night."

"What?" JJ and I exclaim simultaneously.

"He's fine, broken wrist and some other minor things, concussion I think?" Kie says, settling some of our worries. "Topper pushed him off the Hawks Nest. It could've been a lot worse."

"I'm going to fucking kill Topper I swear to god. First Pope, now this? I could-" I fume before JJ cuts me off, rubbing my back gently and telling me quietly to relax, with a smirk present on his lips.

"As long as he's okay." JJ says, directing his attention back to Kie and Pope. "Where's he at now?"

"Don't know." Pope speaks up. "We're meeting him at The Wreck in 10. We were just waiting for you two to show up." He finishes, eyeing us suspiciously.

"Alright, well let's go then." JJ says, breaking the awkward tension.

____

"You're staying where?" Kie questions John.

"Tannyhill." He deadpans.

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron?" She asks in disbelief, carrying a tray of sodas towards us.

Pope and I sat around the table, JJ stood behind me with his hands on my chair, proping himself up.

"Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right?" John defends. "And it's way better then foster care which, by the way, is where I was about to go if Ward didn't—"

"Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope cuts in.

"I don't know, Pope."

"What about the golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?" JJ adds on, taunting John more, causing me to giggle a little.

"Does it come with a sweater-vest or do you have to buy one on your own?"

"Look you promised." Kie cuts the boys off, sounding serious. "You said you weren't with her."

"Bro, just own it. She got you." JJ says.

"JJ don't act like you didn't tell me-" Pope trys to counter, but is met with a harsh punch in the shoulder from JJ, shutting him up.

"Look, if you want to hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah." Kie says, shrugging her shoulders.

"Do you guys see her here?" John asks. "No, right? Okay. A little focus would be fantastic."

I share a look with Kie, silently agreeing with her. John was not being himself. He hasn't spoken to me, hasn't apologized for ditching me, I can't help but feel hurt.

I refocus to hear Pope explain we need to find landmarks that wouldn't have changed with the coast.

"The old forts?" I suggest. "Battery Jasper, we went there a lot as kids." I say, not looking up from my hands.