chapter twenty

-not edited-

"Vienna, come on, you have to get up." I faintly hear Rafe say, shaking my shoulder. "I've already let you sleep in too long. Rose and Dad aren't happy."

I groan, turning my body over. "Doesn't this thing not start until 5pm?" I question.

I hear Rafe laugh, "Yeah, V, but Rose wants you to try the dress on. It's already 3-"

"3 pm?" I question, shooting up. "Rafe! Why did you let me sleep until 3?" I panic, getting out of bed.

"I didn't want to wake you. You had a long day. You needed the sleep." He says, coming over to me. "Relax, V. You have two hours. The club is five minutes away." He chuckles again, kissing my forehead. I don't feel relaxed as he pulls me in. I hate this feeling. I don't want to be here. I regret agreeing to come, feeling like I've given Rafe the wrong idea. He's okay to have as a friend, but nothing more. I'm only interested in one person, even if he doesn't care.

I'm betraying my friends that do care by being here.

I pull back, his arms lay loosely around my waist, so I stay close and look up at him.

"How mad are Rose and Ward?" I question, trying to change the subject.

"I covered for you, babe. They're not mad." He says, placing a hand on my chin. I cringe at the name, it doesn't feel like it does when JJ says it. Even if he only said it drunkenly. "You should go try the dress on, the tailor is downstairs if any adjustments have to be made. Tell him what you want. But you'll look perfect regardless."

I blush, looking at my feet. "Thank you, Rafe." I say, and move toward the door, wanting to get away. None of this feels right. I was not in the right frame of mind when I agreed to this.

"Vienna! Oh my goodness, finally!" I hear Rose exclaim as I walk down the stairs. "Here, here's your dress." she says, placing the fabric in my arms. "Go back upstairs and try it on. Let me know if anything needs to be adjusted, please. I want you to feel your best in that. I hope you like it." She adds.

"It will be perfect, Rose. Thank you." I say, giving her a hug, feeling disgusted as I do.

She returns it, "Oh, you are a delight. Go try it on sweetie, I'll wait here."

I smile back at her, but wipe it once I turn around, and roll my eyes. I still can't believe JJ slept with that woman.

Once I enter Rafe's room, I see him laying in his bed, scrolling through his phone in a pair of boxers.

I shake my head at him and make my way to the bathroom, going to try the dress on.

I lock the bathroom door behind me and remove my clothes, pulling the dress over my body, however I am unable to zip the back, so I walk back out to Rafe.

"Rafe? Can you help me with the-"

Before I finish my sentence he is up and behind me, and the zipper is zipped.

"Thanks." I say, silently noting his attentiveness. I turn around to take in my appearance in the full length mirror that sits on the back of Rafe's bathroom door.

"I love it." I say honestly, rubbing my hands down the satin material. The dress is light blue in color, matching Rafe's tux. One side has a long cut out, traveling almost up to my hip, exposing my leg. The straps are small, spaghetti strap style, and the neck line dips low, exposing my chest. The material is form fitting, hugging my hips.